Trumpet Discussion Discuss Braces Removal!!!!!!! in the General forums; Recently had my braces taken off and found i cant play nearly as well as I used to. Also, I ...
    Piano User

Braces Removal!!!!!!!

Recently had my braces taken off and found i cant play nearly as well as I used to. Also, I now have bonded retainers behind the teeth that chew up my tongue while tonguing. Any ideas or technique tips for me. Please hurry with a response.

Pianissimo User
    Gordonsville, TN
    Well, the clarinet players in my high school band play with thin rubber strips over the lips were their point of attack is. Maybe you could flip their version and make your own type of cloth or strip of rubber in the roof of your mouth where your point of attack is. Hope that helps.
    King Silver Flair 2055S
    Getzen 770 SG Gold Series
    Bundy Series II cornet

Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education. -Plato

Utimate User
    Just be patient.

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano
    Jus be patient.

Exactly. This happens to everyone to some degree for a while after they first get braces or they are removed. you'll adjust soon enough; just keep playing

New Friend
    Do you have a top and bottom permanent retainer?

I have a bottom one....have had braces off for 3 years, and have progressed tremendously since. It will not take long for you to do the same. Sometimes the bottom retainer is actually a helpful reminder for me to keep my tongue down and out of the way in slurring...Just a thought. You'll not only get through this setback, you'll grow and succeed as a result.

Keep it up!
    "Success comes from a willingness to do what others will not."

Thread Information