Trumpet Discussion Discuss Brand spakin' new player (lessons) in the General forums; Hello everyone, I have began to give lessons to a fellow who is in third year university (20 years old ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Brand spakin' new player (lessons)

Hello everyone,

I have began to give lessons to a fellow who is in third year university (20 years old and played tuba in High school).

I have never taught a complete beginner before and it's been sooo long since I can remember being at that stage. What kind of stuff should I start with him? Our first lesson I just spent most of the time correcting his breathing (because I thought that would be easier to learn first - being an avid breather that he is ). But what can I do to actually start buzzing etc. I do it so automatically now that I am finding it hard to put into words what I want to say.

Thanks for any advice

Eric S.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Midwest area USA
    Find out what your new students musical interests are. That will give you a better idea of what you have to work with. Build some kind of routine that touches all the fundamentals of playing within his current boundries. With each lesson, try to push those "boundry walls" a little little further away. Even if no aparent physical improvment shows, nourish the mental aspect of it all. He will never get anywhere without encouragement and goals. Haveing those will help him keep a positive outlook. Your basic instinct is probobly your best guide. Above all, go with what you know.

Good luck!

Lebanon, TN
    Since he played tuba, he will have to get used to the less forgiving trumpet mouthpiece. With a tuba, you can find the optimum buzz spot much easier, since there is SO much mouthpiece. Trumpet doesnt offer us that luxury.

Get him to start lip buzzing. When he starts doing that, get him a mouthpiece, and when that starts working good, give him the trumpet.

The Buzzing Book is a really good buy for this. I forget the author and the publisher at the moment, but I have the book at home, so it shouldnt be a biggie to find. They sell it at, I know.

I wish I could start a student on trumpet. It would be a really great learning experience, for sure. You're very lucky, though when you get frustrated, you may not think that..

Thread Information