Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Brass Band in the General forums; How many of you play in a British style brass band? What instrument/part do you play? What do you like ...
    Pianissimo User

Brass Band

How many of you play in a British style brass band? What instrument/part do you play? What do you like about brass band?

I play flugelhorn in a brass band; what I like about the brass band sound is that its so light and mellow even more so than woodwind and string groups despite brass instruments having a reputation for being bright or crass or blatty(personally I think those that believe that probably haven't heard a half decent brass player).

So what about you other brass banders out there?
    Last edited by rainbowboy023; 02-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Blackburn Bb...............Schilke Piccolo
    Blackburn C................Blackburn Eb/D
    Getzen Cornet.............Monette Mouthpieces
    Eclipse Copper Flugel....Edwards Trombone

"You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-My high school health techer

Pianissimo User

Re: Brass Band

Hoping to join Northern Michigan Brass Band at some point in near future. Yes, I think adding flugelhorns and cornets give the bands a warm sound especially when cornet players use the traditional cornet mouthpieces.

Keep it up!

Melbourne Australia

Hi Rainbowboy,

That's one impressive list on your signature. I played a little Brass Band in my earlier days, but sadly droped out too soon due to transfers etc with jobs.

Where in Australia are you?

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Pianissimo User
    Melbourne, Australia

I play cornet in the Hawthorn Band here in Melbourne. Just started recently, and I think it's one of the most potentially satisfying musical decisions I've made.
    Bach Strad 37 Bb
    Bach Strad 229 25 C
    Bach Strad 182 Flugel
    Scherzer Meister Piccolo (New Toy!)
    Yamaha YCR-731 Bb Cornet
    Getzen Custom 3850 Bb Copper Bell Cornet
    Kanstul 1531 Bb Cornet
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb Soprano Cornet
    King 606 Trombone
    Getzen Caravelle Single Bb French Horn

Heart of Dixie

I play 2nd Cornet in the Brass Band of Huntsville. This is our 10th season, and I'm one of the founding members. I currently play two different cornets, switching when the mood hits me - a 1993 Bach Strad 184 large bore with a gold brass bell, and a customized 1962 Conn 5A Victor. I play the Conn on a Wick 4B, and the Bach on a Wick 4B Heritage.

What I like about a British-style brass band are the varied styles of music available, and the ability of the band to play in a mellow, reserved sound, or light it up with an extremely powerful one. We competed in the NABBA contests a couple years ago for the first time and were scored very well by the judges.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

New Friend
    Planet Earth

I play flugel in a brass band too and enjoy being a "solo" player (since theirs only 1 flugel) and the exposedness of the part. I personally that flugel is possibly the most important and probably the hardest part, second only to the soprano cornet.
    Conn New World Symphony Bb Trumpet
    Getzen Eterna Bb Cornet
    NYTC Stage 1 California Flugel
    Eclipse Piccolo Trumpet
    ~GR 65 diameter mouthpieces

Flugel IS the hardest and most important part in the brass band.

Hardest, because one has to fight to play in tune with the always out of tune eb-horn group
    and most important because the flugel is the part that links all the other instruments together.

Believe me, I've been there for more than forty years.
    I am now having a break from the hard work, playing principal cornet...
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

I, too like the versatility of a brass band. The amazing warmth and richness right through to the bold, brass powerful sounds. The music is some of the most challenging I have ever encountered. I also enjoy playing everything from test pieces, to transcriptions to just plain old entertainment pieces.

Our band is the Massanutten Brass Band from Virginia, and we are a 1st section band in our 11th year. I play in the back row on a Schilke XA1 or sometimes on a Conn 5A like Dale (but mine is not nearly as nice as his!).

I keep telling my wife that she made the wrong choice all those years ago when she decided to be a clarinetist! She finally is starting to believe me!
    "Keep Your Stick on the Ice"- Red Green

dubuque iowa

Ridiculously hard is an understatement. Add relentlessly hard to the list. Ive only had a taste in our concert band setting but I like it...if only I didnt suck too. I like that its bright most of the time but the color changes quickly and very often. My kind of music. Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Piano User
    Wiltshire, UK

I grew up in the brass band world, playing with Shrewton Silver in the UK, one of the oldest brass bands around! played many contest and competitions and spent around 11 years there from when I 1st started then playing 3rd for many years untill I left last year playing on the front row.

I then Joined Bath Spa brass band when I came to Uni but its never the same :( not as much fun, not as many jokes, nights out etc, any they were a section lower than shrewton....

Just out of interest do you guys have the same sort of contests around the world as we do in the UK?

with sections which compete in area 2 contests and then the finals? or do you do things different?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information