Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Brasso, yes or no? in the General forums; would you use it on a raw brass finish?...
    Piano User

Brasso, yes or no?

would you use it on a raw brass finish?
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

It would probably work as well as anything, but something that would probably work better is Sabian Cymbal Cleaner. Just spray it on, let it sit for about 45 seconds, rub with a soft cloth if you want, then rinse off.

My cymbals are Sabian AAX brilliant finish cymbals and therefore need to be cleaned from time to time. Sabian Cymbal Cleaner really does the trick, and since cymbals are made out of bronze, which isn't too different from brass, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    If there is ANY kind of coating on the brass, then no. The Corps taught me all sorts of uses for that stuff. It is incredibly abrasive, I mean, like liquid sandpaper or almost rubbing compound. Not knowing anything about raw brass finishes, I can't really tell you anything. It does make brass shine, I will say that...
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Fortissimo User
    I will use Silvo (which is really Brasso but with a much finer "grit") on slides that get all "blackened up" with gunk having not been cleaned in "too long". On an older horn, bought second-hand, you'll probably find that you need to clean up the slides so that they a) move, and b) move freely and then c) look "nice". Silvo will do that, putting a nice, high polish to them.

Silvo can also be used to polish the areas where the lacquer has come off. I had a Yamaha YCR2330 that was missing half it's "overcoat" and Silvo would bring the raw bits up to a shine that would make it look, at least from a distance, as if it were in pretty good condition.

BUT be warned. Silvo and Brasso are ABRASSIVES and as such should be used only as much as absolutely necessary. Try to clean the slides using the hot soak if you can. If that doesn't work and you don't have access to a chem clean (and from the sounds of it you are interested in cosmetics), I'd go for a very LIGHT application of Silvo rather than Brasso. Silvo comes in a can identical shape to Brasso but with a blue/silver color to it. Should be on the same shelf right next to the Brasso at the grocery store.

Piano User
    Be warned! If the horn is lacquered, Brasso will eat through that lacquer and the horn will look like hell. I wouldn't use Brasso on a horn. Selmer makes polishing clothes for brass/lacquered horns that I've used for years. That seems to be all the polishing any of my brass instruments needed.

Bill
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Forte User
    I agree with Bill. In fact, I have used Brasso to de-lacquer trumpet bells. The only other thing I use Brasso for is to smooth out rough and sticky 3rd valve slides.

Use a non-ebrasive brass polish.

Mike

Piano User
    i went down the street to the store.
    they had Brasso and Noxon.
    i got the Brasso and tried it.
    the horn looks good. real good.
    now I'm watching it to see if it's going to fall apart or implode or something.
    8)
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

I have been a brass instrument repairman since 1978. I frequently use Brasso on NON LACQUERED surfaces. It is abrasive, but so mild that to damage the brass you'd have to use it an unbelievable number of times. It will eat the lacquer off. I have used it on my own instruments, and the instruments of many others, and never had a complaint.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Pianissimo User
    If I wanted to remove lacquer from a horn, to create a raw brass finish, could I use Brasso to do that? How much work would it take.....a coating and light rub, or would I be scrubbing the horn with a brush for hours...
    Bach Bb 43
    Bach C 229
    Bach Eb/D 229
    Stomvi Elite Pic
    King Flugel Horn
    Cerveny Bb Rotary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information