Trumpet Discussion Discuss Breaking into "the Biz" in the General forums; I think that a lot of young musicians - not just trumpet players - struggle with the idea of doing ...
    Pianissimo User

Breaking into "the Biz"

I think that a lot of young musicians - not just trumpet players - struggle with the idea of doing a degree in performance (which is virtually useless except that you do a lot of playing in college), and what the hell they do when they graduate to make cash. So my question is: For those of you on TM that have a career in music, how did you break into the biz? The deal for me is, I HAVE to be a musician. But I'm wondering how those of you that are already in "the biz" got there. Is it about who you know? Being at the right place at the right time?
    I'm not asking this because of doubt on my part, I'm just curious. Whenever I see a guy who does just music for his career, I think to myself "how the hell??!?!" So I'm just posing the question to those TM'ers that are playing professionals, how did you do it?
    This isn't strictly for breaking in, any information about the music business would be great.

Piano User

Re: Breaking into "the Biz"

Aside from being proficient on your instrument, get out and circulate. Hang out and meet people, get into rehearsal bands, take lessons from the pros in your area, sit in on gigs and rehearsals where it is appropriate, etc. People need to hear you play and meet you. Once you do that, you have a better chance at getting "into" the biz.

For me, it was playing in a college jazz ensemble that was run by a working professional. He was often asked by contractors to recommend players. Also, I took lessons from one of the top call players and ended up subbing for him on some gigs. It can have a positive impact when someone else can speak highly of your playing skills/professionalism rather than you doing it yourself.

Good luck,

Thread Information