Trumpet Discussion Discuss Breakthrough but have questions... in the General forums; So I found out yesterday if I curl my lips in just right I can shoot my range up alot. ...
    Pianissimo User

Breakthrough but have questions...

So I found out yesterday if I curl my lips in just right I can shoot my range up alot. Is this one of those bad habits though to where if I play with my lips curled in for just my high range I will have the problem switching from low to high notes? I might be able to constantly play low and high with it curled in but it seems a little unatural to do it on the low notes.

Also when you "squeek" out those really high notes, would practicing trying to get more control of those notes and slowly add volume/air allow me to expand my range to those?

Aside from being able to sqeek really really high stuff it makes my range maybe a few notes higher and tons easier for the ones at the very top of my range. The only problem is I think I enjoyed playing too much higher stuff with that new technique the day I learned it and my lips felt terrible today. So this leads to my last question. Should I be practicing more on these higher notes so it doesn't "blow out" my lips the next day or is it one of those things to leave alone untill I can naturally control it more?

Thanks for reading.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: Breakthrough but have questions...

What you're doing is not uncommon.

John, in 2 months you will know if you have a real breakthrough or a real breakdown!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

"You may think that something great is happening, but without working with you in person, I have no idea if you are only using less pressure or have changed your geometry of playing, or anything else.

Ask anybody who learned how to smoke how long it took until that habit was broke and you will know what you are up against with your home brew trumpet style.

The best favor you could do yourself would be to get a real teacher to straighten your playing out. Without having the "big picture" of what is really going on with your playing, I wouldn't mess with anything. Your chances of getting worse are as great if not greater than getting better." - Rowuk

Thanks for you help through the other thread. Wednesday I can talk with my private dude about it :)
    Last edited by john7401; 10-24-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thread Information