Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Breathing. in the General forums; Originally Posted by barliman2001 Don't worry about lung capacity - that is only a problem if you've had some kind ...
    Melbourne, Australia

Re: Breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by barliman2001 View Post
    Don't worry about lung capacity - that is only a problem if you've had some kind of lung disease. Main thing for endurance is diaphragm control. The best people to teach you about this are vocal coaches, so get down, look for a good one and learn singing. Singing and trumpet playing can be fruitful for each other - my partner is a professional opera singer with a long and exciting career in title parts, and she now started on cornet and hey presto! suddenly she can sing parts that were impossible six months ago - including all the murderous Wagner parts.
    So once again: Start singing!
    The thing that triggered my "comeback" (it still feels pretentious to call it that) was picking up a horn after two years of singing lessons and a lot a time spent working on breathing (and all the mind games that singers use to get the best out of their instrument). I'd had a good trumpet teacher and learnt sound breathing and breath control all those years back. There is however fantastic synergy between playing trumpet and singing. I also noticed that playing trumpet before singing was like having an amazingly effective vocal warm-up. Everything feels so freed and relaxed.

Obviously as a late starter to singing, and not being gifted with naturally great pipes, opera is not on the menu for me. It's great to hear that the cross-over benefits work for a professional singer too.
    tj, Oz
    ...Dreaming of when I can have delusions of adequacy...

My family...

Olds Recording '73, Studio '48, Super '47, French Model 38/39, Ambassador '76, Ambassador Cornet '64
    Reynolds Contempora LB '49-ish
    Conn 22B '37, Frank Holton (early - '23?) "Patent Applied For"
    Carol Brass Legend Heavyweight
    plus various projects, whims and follies

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

One thing for sure, it has been a very big problem with my lungs which due to smoking I've now been diagnosed with COPD, had a triple open heart bypass, an AAA and been cut from top to bottom, thus nothing now works at optimum ... but I'm still blowing my horns and doing so decently while maybe not exceptional. Now, I'm just not about to reprise an 8 measure euphonium drone for my rendition of We Three Kings of Orient Are, but even with a nasal cannula feeding me a 2 liter flow, I can still play to my contentment and my pulmonologist has said my gimmicks are as good as what he could provide. When I started blowing up those little balloons it took me nearly a dozen breaths to do so, and now I can do it in 3 breaths. Too, frequently I still play a tuba and still regularly play a euphonium, but I know I'm getting to a point where such will not be so often or potentially not at all.
    fraserhutch likes this.

New York State USA

demonstration of a young lady breathing calmly and without tension

"Breathe In, Breathe Out"- (Original song) BY TICH - YouTube
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information