Trumpet Discussion Discuss Breathing Warmups in the General forums; I use a torso twist excercise followed by an excercise where I breath in for 4 counts (at 60bpm) and ...
    Pianissimo User

Breathing Warmups

I use a torso twist excercise followed by an excercise where I breath in for 4 counts (at 60bpm) and out for 4, then in for 5 out for 5, in for 6 out for 6, ect. I do this until I get to 10 in and out. This is done everyday before I play (along with buzzing now).

Should I be doing more breathing excercises? Different ones or just more of this excercise daily?

I was also looking to see if anyone has any specific breathing excercises for high note playing. Things that might help get better air for higher playing rather than just breathing excercises in general.

Thanks for reading.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Breathing Warmups

I don't have a better suggestion, but I have a question. When you breathe in, do you breathe slowly so that you barely reach lung capacity at the end of the count cycle so that you can immediately start the exhale cycle with no pause (I think this is the essence of the "Circle of Breath" technique advocated by Rowuk) or, do you hold your breath between cycles? I think I will start trying this exercize to see if it works for me. Would it help to use the mouthpiece as an airflow restrictor for this?
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User

Re: Breathing Warmups

No, this exercise is good enough. It gets the air flowing like we want it to; however, there are more breathing exercises if you want to do them. I wouldn't really do any more than 5 minutes of breathing exercises a day at most, personally; however, top level drum corps groups do the entire Breathing Gym DVD every morning before they do anything else which is not a bad investment though doing it every day is overkill for someone not currently marching drum corps where the necessity for top-level breathing is necessary.
    Tennessee Tech Music performance Major

Late Elkhart Bach Strad #37 Bb (Blackburn 19 leadpipe and rounded tuning slide)
    ca. 1956 Conn Director coprion bell cornet Bb
    Sonare TRC-800 C
    1970s Olds Ambassador cornet Eb (cut down by Dr. William Jones)

Thread Information