Trumpet Discussion Discuss Breathing and Yoga in the General forums; Hey, I recently watched the Maynard clinic on youtube, and was very interested by his comment about yoga. I was ...
    Pianissimo User
    North Dakota

Breathing and Yoga

Hey, I recently watched the Maynard clinic on youtube, and was very interested by his comment about yoga. I was wondering how you guys felt about that, and if you could point me in the right direction. Air support is one of the many things I am working on, and this seems like a logical thing that could really help.

Thanks, everybody.
    Getzen Genesis 3003
    Harrelson 2C
    drilled out Bach Megatone 3C
    Getzen Eterna Eb/D
    Getzen Eterna Flugel
    French Besson Meha C Trumpet
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet
    Bach 300 series Cornet

Re: Breathing and Yoga

Yoga gets you more in touch with yourself. It is not "breathing" exercizes.

In modern livings fast pace, we seldom find time to reflect on what is going on around us and IN us. Spending time to become aware of what is going on in our bodies is very beneficial. How that relates to our feelings, how our bodies respond to feelings, how we discover what is good for us are just a couple of the benefits. If you are just looking for breathing exercizes, you are probably in the wrong place. Practicing Yoga is as time intensive as practicing the trumpet.

Maynard Ferguson probably could not have kept up his pace without the balance he found in his way of living. The physical exertion and high energy had to be balanced somewhere.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Chilhowie, VA

Re: Breathing and Yoga

I've had a few Yoga classes, and I can definitely agree with Rowuk. While I didn't notice anywhere it could directly help my trumpet playing or air support, I noticed it helped my state of mind and even perception on some things. It's very relaxing most of the time and clears the mind of stress. Doing things like yoga can only help trumpet playing if it does anything at all for it. My suggestion about air support is to take several deep breaths (deeper than you think you need) throughout the practice session. They help in keeping the throat open and making sure you are really taking in all the air you can. Of course, you should breathe deeply each time you pick up the horn, but breathing on your own without it can help you realize if you're not taking deep enough breaths. It's amazing what good air can do for trumpet playing. But that's a whole other topic entirely ;)

Thread Information