Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tobylou8
  • 1 Post By True Tone
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Buescher Letter/Ad from 1893 in the General forums; So someone else found this, here's the topic for it: Extremely RARE and important primary source letter unearthed from Buescher ...
    Piano User

Buescher Letter/Ad from 1893

So someone else found this, here's the topic for it:
    Extremely RARE and important primary source letter unearthed from Buescher dated Sept 26, 1893
    And here's the now working link that doesn't need someone to register:
    Buescher 1893 Letter and Ad.jpg
    Here's (most) of what Saxquest said in the original post of the topic:

"Its amazing to me to see Buescher going directly after Conn so forcefully so early after his departure from Conn. This to me indicates that there was certainly no love-loss between he and Conn. I can only image that Conn, with his ego, was extremely difficult to work for, especially for someone as skilled and resourceful as Gus Buescher. It also shows that he must have had some money-people backing him very early on as it appears his shop was fully equipped with the latest and best machinery and tools for musical instrument production practically the day he walked from Conn. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of Elkhart's businessmen who despised Conn for both political and other economic reasons (such as John Fieldhouse and/or Andrew Hubble Beardsley) may have put him up to leaving Conn in the first place and may have even helped initially fund his operation too, perhaps out of spite. It would have taken at least a year or two to set up a shop for full scale musical instrument production. Although, Buescher began a home shop as early as 1888, he was only publicly producing products like band emblems, bicycle pedals and other metal goods. But Its obvious that more was going on behind closed doors and that he was very careful in planning his departure from Conn, keeping his real intentions secret.

I would love to have seen Conn's reaction upon first reading this letter. It must have sent him ballistic!! Its a page right out of his own book."

As said later in the topic, this is more of an advertisement than a letter.
    Seems interesting enough, especially as it sets the date of the founding of Buescher back about a year.
    Last edited by True Tone; 03-01-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added an image viewable to non-SOTW members

Re: Buescher Letter/Ad from 1893

I can't see the image without registereing.

I can't reed it either! Hey, it's a sax site!
    Dupac and True Tone like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Piano User

Oh right, I forgot about needing to register. Hold on, I'll probably edit it into this post while I'm in lunch.
    Buescher 1893 Letter and Ad.jpg
    (also, this seems to confirm the picture problem I have is my end.)
    Also, I finally got to learn what Buescher did at Conn, rather than just "superintendent."
    I'd like to know who the Emerson person he made a mouthpiece for is, also; I'll search that momentarily.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Thread Information