Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Building the chops up... (video) in the General forums; LoL......

Re: Building the chops up... (video)

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Building the chops up... (video)

T-Money, I'm still hearing a bunch of unneeded tension and it sounds as if you are tonguing through your teeth. Time to toss the good 'ol Vulgano "RAY OF POWER" into the ring again:

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information