Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Building Range in the General forums; I don't have great range, but I've just become comfortable exploring high C and the notes just above in a ...
    New Friend

Re: Building Range

I don't have great range, but I've just become comfortable exploring high C and the notes just above in a relaxed melodic way. This new experience for me has involved in chronological order, increasing and regularizing my playing time to at least 45 min almost every day. Switching from Bach 7c mouthpiece to a Schilke 14A4a. Working the pencil holding exercise found on youtube. As mentioned here, spending at least as much time in the lower register as the upper, with long tones and slurs. Letting go of "note" as a concept and concentrating on "sound". Playing Baritone horn and Bass trumpet with a larger mouthpiece! I have found that doubling on the lower brass has strengthened the outer muscles of my trumpet embouchure and made a quantum synergistic improvement in both tone and range for both instruments. This has been groundbreaking for me!
    Brass Orchid

Play it three times and they'll think you meant to!

Bach Stradivarius trumpet
    40's Conn cornet
    King 650 flugelhorn
    Josef Lidl bass trumpet
    Olds Ambassador Bb baritone horn

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetaddict View Post
    What are some of the best exercises that help build range. My current range is A on top of the staff and I'm going to at least be able to have play C on top of that for marching band this coming August. Any help?
    You have to accept the part that you can play in August. Just because someone is giving you a chance, doesn't mean that it will happen. We have no short cuts for more than what you have.

The very first step is to get a DAILY routine and stick to it. Long tones slurs and easy tunes will give you a solid foundation upon which all else is built. If you want to improve, then YOU don't need to ask the world for a method. You have to simply practice hard EVERY DAY and EARN it. Even if we do everything wrong, working hard will help us get better. If we add basic common sense, we will do most things right and get even better.

The answer is within YOU. No silver bullet ever saved those without work ethic. An hour a day would be a great start!!!!!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New York State USA

I concur with Rowuk, the trumpet takes time and practice. I go with long tones (holding notes in the staff, very softly, and as long as I can) - do scales that way, relax between sets to recoup. do the lips slurs, don't cheat on the exercises --- just cause we hear a Doc Severensin, A Maynard Ferguson, or WHOEVER our favorite player is --- keep this in mind!!! They all started at the beginning, they did the time, and I am certain they didn't have any shortcuts -- practice, practice, practice -- years and not weeks. don't get discouraged --- quitters never win and winners never quit!!!!!

Phoenix, Arizona

I too concur with Rowuk, practice a routine. Long tones, scales. Push yourself just a little at a time and you will get there.
    Todd Bevins
    1981 Bach Strad Bb ML Model 43
    Curry Heavy XXCaps
    1971 Getzen 300 Bb
    1972 Conn Director Bb Cornet
    Monette B6LDS1
    Schilke 14
    Purviance 4* K4

Dayton, Ohio

You can't expect to go from lifting you own weight to power lifting 500 lbs overnight, and perhaps even in 6 months to a year. It takes training it takes time. Muscle is muscle, whether it's the biceps or the lip. You need to practice carefully and often. With time, this will come. So the bottom line from all the posts just above this one, practice, practice and practice. Do not strain. Do not over work. Do this comfortably, and decisively.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

Theres a book called the louis maggio system for brass, it really emphasizes the use of pedal tones, air, syllables to acheive range while also helping everything else. It was recommended to me by Arturo Sandoval if that rings a bell... haha I highly recommend it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information