Trumpet Discussion Discuss Building Strength in the General forums; Hi Tom, Do you have any specific routine you use for developing strength/endurance? It's been one of the problems with ...
    New Friend

Building Strength

Hi Tom,

Do you have any specific routine you use for developing strength/endurance? It's been one of the problems with my playing lately, and just curious what your take on this subject was.

Pianissimo User

Re: Building Strength

When developing strength and endurance, efficiency goes a long way. So when determining your own parameters for becoming stronger, look into where you set up. Where in your range do you feel you could play all day? This would be a good starting point for seeing what kinds of exercises you should start with.
    One method I used a number of years ago was something that Chris Gekker developed. It was a set of 6 etudes that varied in length from 2:30, 3:30, 3:50, 4:00, 4:45, 3:45. You would start each etude every fives minutes. (After each etude you would have less time off the face) This was a method he used to get students ready for recitals. The etudes were not hard but at the end of 30 minutes you were toast :)
    Another way to gain some stamina would be to practice extreme louds or extreme highs in short bursts. (be smart about this, if you can't play a high C for 3 secs don't try to hold it for 10, all the while reinforcing bad habits. Try to take your ego out of this) I would recommend using a timer for this so that you notice how long you can play, and to make sure you take at least that much time off.

There was one book I used for this, and the rests are built in.
    I believe it was called "The First Trumpeter" or "The First Trumpet"
    by Maxwell. Its a jazz method book, but at the end of the book it has these fairly high etudes with a good amount of rest built in.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by thomashooten; 12-12-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Thread Information