Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Bummed out (failed my diploma!) in the General forums; Originally Posted by JackD I read through the examiners comments again, and to be honest they're pretty unconstructive and just ...
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD
    I read through the examiners comments again, and to be honest they're pretty unconstructive and just plain rude!

Something I was told about recently was that examiners for the London Colleges are of the opinion that their job is not to offer constructive criticism (eg, "you should work more with your accompanist, and work on your intonation) but rather to tell you what you did badly (eg. "you did not work well with the accompaniment and your intonation was awful). I am not sure how accurate that is, but it seems plausable considering tha high standards of performance in London. If, as you say (and I'm inclined to believe you) the examiner wrote things about you which simply were not true, I think you would have just grounds for an appeal to the board of Trinity College.

I should ask, is the ATCL the same as (or equivalent to) the Dip. ABRSM? If so, I would reccomend going with the ABRSM, if you plan to presue an avenue of performance diplomas. The ABRSM is somewhat better known within the UK, (despite Trinity being more internationally known) and these diplomas mean little to non-musicians.

Personally, I would recommend that you put it out of your mind, focus on being (becoming) the best musician you can be, and getting your batchelors degree in music. These things will do you much greater benefit in the long run, IMHO.

Am I right in thinking that you are going to the RNCM next year? If so, this will provide you with all the challenges you will require for the next three years to progress as a trumpeter. (Indeed I saw the Symphony Orchestra or the RNCM perform Mahler 5 and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto at the Bridgewater Hall a few weeks ago, and those guys are fantastic! Focus on getting into that group [and all the others you can find] and you'll do yourself right!)
    " have the perfect C Major chord, with blazing trumpets and inaudible strings." - Daniel Barenboim.

Pianissimo User
    Hey JackD, did you take that nap yet?
    '66 Olds Ambassador
    Bach Mt. Vernon 7 mpc

Chicago northern suburbs

You're going to be fine! You ARE fine!

I wish I had $10 for every time I played badly enough to want to throw my horn out the window (not tht you actually played badly, as I DID!). I also wish I had $10 for evey time someone denigrated my playing in some way unjustified. I could retire!

FWIIW coming from me, I think what defines us as players/musicians is how we deal with setbacks - real, or apparent or induced by someone else's problems (like your audition judge).

Every time I felt like giving up, upon reflection, I felt still more compelled to drive full steam ahead to learn what I need to learn to fix whatever the problem was (of course that means finding out WHAT the problem was).

Johaness Kepler one said, ""...we do not ask what hope of gain makes a little bird warble, since we know that it takes delight in singing... If you're like the little bird, you're going to keep on singing with your horn, and no amount of beuraucratic nonsense will stop you.

I have always fond such experiences to be humbling. I've had to consder the possibility that MAYBE I had some more to learn and the get on to the business of learning it. I've also found such experiences, once I got past the pain of the initial moment, to be exhilarating. I had some more progress to look forward to plus the opportunity for redemption.

Heck I'm still at it! there are those who would say "Nick, you're too old to embark on a new career as a jazz soloist! You have no chance, so give it up (OK, 'they' HAVE, in so many words, said this to me)." I don't care what 'they' say. All that matters is that I've got to sing and I'm just going to love doing it and look forward with great anticipation to the frontiers facing me.

In conclusion, an adult student once said this to me. "Whenever I find myself in a frustrating situation that I can't avoid, I just LOVE MY WAY OUT OF IT. I just find a way to love the work required to solve the problem." And I was supposed to be teacing him!

Keep the faith, man! Go for it again, if this is what you love, like the bird.

Peace, man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information