Trumpet Discussion Discuss A burning question in the General forums; Manny- Maybe you know the answer to this... While doing my daily warm ups this am, I went to Arban ...
    Forte User
    Northern New York

A burning question

Maybe you know the answer to this...
    While doing my daily warm ups this am, I went to Arban lip slurs. As I was doing them, my mind began to wander (" of little discipline") and I noticed that Arban does not make use of the 123 combination. I never noticed this before. One could add it in at the beginning and at appropriate places in the chromatic series I assume, but, there must have been a reason he left it out (other than it's not in tune... 1 & 3 are bad and he uses that). When my corners began their protest, I decided to let them win and give them a rest and see if I could look it up in the text. There is nothing there.

Any idea why?

Ok...back to it.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Utimate User

Re: A burning question

I do that all the time, Glenn. I add the 123 combo wherever it fits. As to why Arban didn't do it, I could only speculate but we wouldn't know for sure.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: A burning question

Seven is an odd number. The same lick transposed six times is way easier for the engraver to fit between the margins -- with seven, you get messy line breaks and it's harder to read.

I like the books where you get it once, and then are asked to play it in all the other positions. Saves paper, which saves trees, which can then be used for bio-fuel for our Hummers.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information