Trumpet Discussion Discuss Busking in Las Vegas in the General forums; Hi, I know there is a thread for busking out here, but I just couldnt find it Thing is I ...
    Piano User

Busking in Las Vegas

Hi, I know there is a thread for busking out here, but I just couldnt find it

Thing is I will be going to LV in few months, and I'm planning to do some busking there

I will go as a tourist, with tourist visa, I do not have US citizenship (too bad , but what can you do)

tell me will I have problems, I will play public domain repertoire

Pianissimo User
    If you can read this, you're not practicing

Piano User

Re: Busking in Las Vegas

Yeah! Let's make this a HAPPY thread instead of the festival of "guard house lawyering" the last one was.

I've heard LV is great for busking, and in fact the Blue Man Group and a bunch of others got their start there.

I've been in Waikiki and frankly, it's so hot and danged humid that there are not a lot of people around outside during the day. Things would liven up in the evening, as soon as the sun was down, then you'd have from then, right about 6PM, until 10PM when things were really hopping. Now, once the clock hit 10, it seemed the "vibe" would change to a more how do I say this? Sleazy, "adult", even dangerous, vibe. Some buskers told me they make more money during this late time, but keep in mind in Waikiki, this is the time the stuff like muggings would happen. So: 4 hours of "wholesome" time and for the die-hards, 4 hours of "not so wholesome" time. Waikiki also has a ton of coffee houses, restaurants, clubs, etc etc etc yadda yadda, where a musician can play inside. Trumpet's not considered a coffee house instrument, but a cornet with a Harmon mute, is one thing I've seen used successfully in one.

There's probably some correlation between how Waikiki works and LV. The "wholesome" hours may extend later in LV, since it can be daylight later.

I'd definitely give it a try, and also consider "unusual" ways to make $ with your trumpet like, being hired to play with a "sandwich board" or sign or some sort to tout this or that club or restaurant, etc.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Thread Information