Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Buying from the factory? in the General forums; Quite a few years ago, my teacher was in Wisconsin on vacation. Part of it included trying some cornets at ...

Re: Buying from the factory?

Quite a few years ago, my teacher was in Wisconsin on vacation. Part of it included trying some cornets at the Getzen factory. He had called ahead so upon arrival there were no less than a dozen cornets lined up and waiting to be played. He tested them all, picked one and paid what he would have paid at a Getzen dealer. I suggest calling ahead and find out their policy. It is a factory and may be too "dangerous " for you to walk in unannounced.
    larry tscharner likes this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Woodlawn, VA

The last new horn I bought was a Calicchio around 1983 or so. At that time, I went through a local dealer and paid the dealer. However, I phoned the factory and talked with the people there about the specs I wanted the horn built to. At that time I did not know much about bore and its effect, but I did want an uptilted bell a la Herriot and a bell made of responsive metal. I had input, and the dealer could cut me the best price he felt comfortable with since he incurred no risk or expense.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

dubuque iowa

How true. I also visited Getzen before buying and their sample room was amazing! Even some prototype horns were there for your feedback. Being a family owned "local" type maker the friendly people there only call you by first name and expect you to do the same. I honestly cant say enough nice things about Getzen, but yes you do need to call ahead so they can be expecting you. The "dangerous" part of the whole tour is that you may step on your own toung as it will be hanging out looking at all that beautiful brass. I got the horn and options right at the factory and then worked with the music store in Elkhorn for the order. It was easy at Breber Music because they didnt have to sell me and I knew what the horn should cost from my advance research. They made a little money for basically doing nothing but being the pickup point. Cant say enough nice things about Breber either, they were very nice to me and we just met over the phone. I dont think there is such a thing as buying from a factory, you need to draw the line between a custom builder and a manufacturer. Both have advantages and both have their fans. Best wishes.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Forte User
    Indiana USA

Don't forget to view Ivan's website when you consider purchasing a C trumpet at

Best wishes,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information