Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Buying more horns / instruments in the General forums; You've got no G picc?! I really don't see how you survive without one The education aspect is yet another ...
    Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

Re: Buying more horns / instruments

You've got no G picc?! I really don't see how you survive without one The education aspect is yet another dilemma. There are couple of pathways of reconciling the needs of a "starter" orchestral trumpeter and the educational journey around horns with different pitches:

1. Trade the B flat for a C hoping that you will never get to play the Carmen suite...
    2. Take on rent the horn you don't have (either B flat or C)
    3. Take on rent a picc - that is the most obvious choice since the picc is still the horn one would use the least in the orchestra - the only trouble is to find a shop located nearby who would offer piccs on rent decent picc...

As for the win...according to Dizz, the horn is the one who ultimately wins - in your case there will be 25 horns (or more) winning over you

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Pianissimo User
    Kokomo, IN

You may have a good idea by staying in the trumpet / cornet family. Branching out too far complicates the practice routines--you need to stay current and familiar with all of your horns. Bear in mind that there is a world of difference in a Bb trumpet and a pic--you don't automatically extend your range. IMO your range on the pic pretty much mirrors your range on your Bb. Also, they don't blow anywhere the same. I find I use my Bb the most followed by my C. I would love to use my flug a lot more, but just don't have the opportunities to. I end up using my euph on a regular basis because I use it as a primary instrument in one small group but play Bb trumpet in three other groups. I use the euph more than the t-bone simply because it's easier to sound good and it gives much more flexibility than a straight bone (I'm left-handed and can't use a trigger, not a problem with a 3 + 1 euph). Best wishes

Sonare TRC-800
    Harrison Wedge 1AC 25 lightweight backbore
    Accent TR959 CDB C tpt w/Wedge 1AC 25 with short shank and heavy backbore
    Jupiter 846S Flug Wedge 2
    Jupiter 632 T-Bone Wedge 5G
    Accent EU-757 Euphonium Wedge 5G (Delrin)

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Well, as you can see, there are as many opinions as there are players. I think all of the above are valid observations - you just need to decide which ones are closest to your personal directions.

But, let me offer ideas from another angle. Most of the previous comments focused on possibilities for playing various genres in different venues. My thoughts are not based on playing in public at all. I play in one symphonic band and there are 12 trumpets so I am able to "hide" during the tough sections. I have no immediate prospects of playing solos or in any small ensembles where I will stand out. So, what am I doing with all of the instruments I have (72 now and growing)?

When I started my comeback almost a year ago, I had one trumpet. After nearly 40 years off, I could not tell if it was a good one or not (it is a good one - I am the not-so-good component). I started going to music stores to look at different trumpets and found that I did not recognize any of the brands there (most of the brands that I had ever heard of were long since out of business). But, I quickly found out that the cheap ones were no good and the good ones were not cheap (surprise!). Then I started looking online and found a lot of names I recognized, including King, Conn, Holton, Reynolds, and Blessing along with Selmer (the trumpet I owned) and Olds (the brand I started on in 1955). I also found that these great names were available at very inexpensive prices (relative to the prices of $2K - $4K that I had seen in the stores for quality instruments).

So, I became like a kid at a party with lots of free goodies to eat - I just couldn't pass up any of them, so I wound up 'overeating'. Everytime I would buy one trumpet or cornet, I would see another and think, "I wonder how that one compares to this one." So, I would buy it to find out. I guess I had a emotional tie to the Olds line since that is where I started and I found a lot of them available so I just gorged. I guess that I'm lucky I didn't find as many Selmers that are similar to mine or I'd have a garage full of them as well. Some of them were brands I'd never heard of but I bought them to find out how they played. Some looked like orphans that needed a home so I bought them and took them in.

There are many reasons and conditions that lead to adding "more horses to the stable" and some of them are just the result of an urge - more commonly referred to as the 'N+1 Virus'. But, catching it is fun!
    Last edited by ComeBackKid; 05-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User
    Perth, Western Australia

Given that you're only 7 months into your comeback, unless you're exceptional a picc could sit on your shelf for a long time until your chops are up to it.
    For what you are currently doing you would get best use out of a flugel. Go and try one and see if you like it.
    If you move into symphonic playing, depending on the seriousness of the orchestra, a C trumpet may not be absolutely necessary but if you have one you will use it a lot.

Woodlawn, VA

I agree that a flugelhorn will get some use for you. My church has a very small group of musicians in the "orchestra/brass ensemble'" Many charts use a flugel to cover French Horn parts. Since you are currently playing in church, perhaps a flugel should be your next choice.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Northern California

Like most others in my generation I started on cornet and graduated to trumpet when I went into Jr. High. Because I was playing a lot of jazz I bought a flugelhorn. When I started getting a lot of church gigs I bought a C trumpet. Never bought a pic--always borrowed one when I needed one, once every 2 or 3 years. Over the years I have bought, sold and traded lots of horns for lots of reasons; but I always had a reason. So, if you want to be a collector buy horns you want for your collection. If you want horns to play buy horns you need to achieve the goals you seek. If you want to do both, then you can do both--you're only eliminated by your imagination, your wallet and your spouses patience.

Los Gatos, CA

HI, Nick!

I haven't really missed having an F/G picc since I try to use my C for most everything. If it's really high enough, I'll use Bb/A picc instead. I haven't even used my Eb/D trumpets very much in the time that I've had them. I did use Eb soprano cornet for many years in brass band, however.

Greensboro, NC

Does your teacher play the trumpet?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

I played cornet first, then Bb trumpet, then C Trumpet, then picc, then flugel (then rotary valved instruments, D, Eb, G, Low F, Nat). I make the most money with the Bb, nat and the picc.

Community orchestras just require elegant playing, not a specific pitch of trumpet. I hear more glitches on the C with non-professional players because they have to fight with intonation issues. It is academic to try and relate professional and hobby playing situations to specific instruments. The history behind the players and their chops is often completely different.

The solution is between our ears, not in our hands.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information