I have enjoyed the last couple of days, watching and reading from the sidelines. But I have not had much luck finding the answers to some specific questions and this purchase is time senitive. So here goes:
1. Does the age of the Trumpet matter? The owner got it second hand and has no idea of the age. I took it to a local brass repair & restoration shop and while the person was very helpful he could not determin its age. The serial # is 0220026 if anyone can help.
2. This is a Stromvi Forte which I understand is a higher end student model, but I am buying it for a beginner. She has an established musical background with 5 years already devoted to the piano. Still is this too much trumpet for a 11 year old?
3. What is a fair price for the instrument? They are asking $850. The horn is in good condition with no dents or scratches. Just needs a good cleaning and polish to look new again.
4. How should the cleaning be handled? I have read it all on the Internet, from Acid wash, Bath tub & dish soap, to Zachary's music DON"T CLEAN IT EVER! Looking into the slides there is a bit of build up, not much, but before I put it into my daughters hands I would like to clean it. The Brass Repair store will sonic clean and hand polish for $150. That includes aligning the valve's and replacement of minor valve parts.
5. What do I need to know before purchasing this instrument? I have no musical background and have no idea what to look for in a used instrument. I figure if I am going to spend that much on a rental over the next 12 to 24 months I am better off buying a nicer insturment for the same price.
Please help! The more I read on the Internet the more confused I get. Thanks!