Trumpet Discussion Discuss Buzzing problem in the General forums; When I play it sounds like more air is going through my horn than actual sound. I don't think it's ...
    New Friend

Buzzing problem

When I play it sounds like more air is going through my horn than actual sound. I don't think it's leaking so I must be doing something wrong. I took a 3 week vacation at the end of summer and when I came back to school I was double buzzing pretty badly; the only way I could get it to stop was to spread my teeth very far apart and lower my jaw a lot. Now I'm pretty much flat all the time, I have this horrible tone, and now I can't remember how my old way felt(I've been playing this way for over 4 months now). think this has made my aperture larger and if I try to make it smaller I just double buzz a lot. What the heck should I do(My teacher was the one who told me to get rid of the double buzz by spreading my mouth, and now he really doesn't care as long as the double buzz is gone)

Re: Buzzing problem

let's back up a bit. The key to success anywhere in life is to get back to basics.
    Do a breathing check: inhale deeply then exhale, your shoulders should not go up or down. I think of breathing as a circle, the left side going up is inhale and the right exhale. Notice at the top and bottom of the circle that everything stays smooth: your transition from in to exhale should be the same way. Once that breathing works, we replace exhale with play. Don't spread your mouth, a good place to start is to say the letter M, then put the mouthpiece on your face, then blow (no tonguing). It doesn't matter what tone comes out. Play until you run out of air then fill up and start again - remember that circle of breath!

Once you can get a reliable tone with the M-bouchure, some slurs are in order - still use the circle - NO TONGUING. Play softly with low pressure. Do this for a week, as often in the day as possible. The secret is not to force anything, let that circle work for you! Once this works, you can add some easy scales and tunes. The long tones and slurs remain free of any tonguing. After 4 weeks, you should have a reasonable sound - if you do not beat yourself up! That is the single most important lesson!!!!!!

The next thing is to dump that idiot teacher that does not care if you have any future in playing. There are very basic principles of respect for people, music and accepted practice. Letting a student waste themselves is DISGUSTING!

Find yourself somebody that CARES.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Greensboro, NC

If by teacher you mean a private trumpet teacher by all means run don't walk away and find a better teacher. By the way lowering your jaw a lot is not the cure for double buzzing. It won't help one bit and you may qoute me to your teacher. You get a double buzz when your bottom lip vibrates out of sync with your top lip. Several thing s cpoulnd be causing it. the advice from Rowuk is good but you really need to find a good trumpet teacher who cam listen to you play.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

New Friend

If you happen to live in Texas by chance I can refer you to my teacher, Galen Jeter, great lead player, he co-founded the Dallas Jazz Orchestra over here =D

Chesapeake, VA

Rowuk and Bob are right, as usual... but I get the feeling the teacher you are talking about is your school band director... in which case you obviously can't ditch him. Follow the advice your get here and don't allow the situation or your band director to discourage you. Efficient, smart work will get you to the desired results, not quick fixs offered by a band director that probably played trumpet for all of 8 weeks his freshman year of college. If you don't already have a private trumpet teacher, you need to find one!!
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~A. Einstein

Check out my boy Mark Ingraham...

Thread Information