Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Buzzing without the mouthpiece. in the General forums; Yes, we buzz .... but are we not still men? (or women?) Turtle...

Re: Buzzing without the mouthpiece.

Yes, we buzz .... but are we not still men? (or women?)

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

My trumpet professor taught me how and said it improves performance. He said "to make the smallest opening of the lips and start by lightly blowing then strecting yours corners out, a small membrane of the upper lip will begin to vibrate making the buzz-sound." It takes a little time and does become easier. It did help me as a come-back player.How important is it is a good question. It appears to be rather controversial, with differing opinions. A pro-trumpeter friend told me it was better to practice blowing thru the mouthpiece and lead-pipe with the slide removed and that this was the best way to warm up. I'd try both and see which is most effective for you.
    Last edited by patkins; 05-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Randolph, New Jersey

Clearly, when you are playing the trumpet, SOMETHING is vibrating in order to excite the air column and create a sound. I think almost everyone can agree that lips vibrate.

But, from a physical science point of view, the BLOW opens the gate but the debate is "what shuts the gate"? Are the lips controlled only by the muscles of the lips (aka, corners) or does the feedback from the horn cause this phenomena?

I see both sides. I certainly understand the concerns that the "non buzzers" express (too much lip tension, abnormally formed lip setting etc.). I happen to subscribe to the notion that free buzzing in moderation helps us understand the workings of the embouchure. Being able to control the interference that the lips offer the airstream will more than likely make controlling it more efficient while playing.

Regardless, I believe that moderation is a key element. No one ever buzzed their way into a gig. However, there are many who's motto is/was "if you can't buzz it, you can't play it". I have found that negotiating difficult intervals has been simplified by using a BERP. Is that an "ear" thing or a "lip" thing? I dunno.

No two trumpet players are built the same way - lips, jaws, and general physicality differ from player to player. There cannot be a one size fits all (read "one size fits none particularly well") that works for this topic. As in most debates where parties are so polarized, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and no doubt in different places for different individuals.

I have been helped by buzzing. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information