Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss That C below the staff in the General forums; The low register can get flat and "flappy" if the jaw starts dropping and the chops sort of spread and ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Re: That C below the staff

The low register can get flat and "flappy" if the jaw starts dropping and the chops sort of spread and seperate. I try to keep the chops forward (instead of dropping) into the low register to keep the lips together.

If the third space C works well, you might try starting on that C, than go down chromatically to the low C. Then try going down the major scale, then arpeggio, and try to maintain the same sound.

Good luck!

let it be flat for a while. You are building strength and this could just be part of your development. On the other hand, it could also be a hardware problem. Try to find another trumpet player that is more advanced than you and let them try your horn AND mouthpiece. There are out of tune combinations out there.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Ithaca NY

Try playing the G (second line) and then "sliding" down to the C. Do it first with just your mouthpiece and try to make it a nice smooth steady slide (glissando) from G down to C. When you can do it easily on just the mouthpiece add the horn. Once you get the 5th (G to C) do the upper C, down to G, down to C. Remember think "slide". The practice helps to center the pitch as you slide to it. Just playing the G and then the C w/o sliding will often result in hitting the lower note off pitch. The sliding practice eliminates your "poking" out the lower note off pitch.
    This exercise can be extended to all the 7 key combinations (1,2,1&2,1&3, 2&3, 1&2&3, open). Remember you are sliding down. Once you get stronger you can slide up too, although the sensation of sliding is distinctly different. You can always work it on the mouthpiece first. If you can produce the right pitches on the mouthpiece, it will be easy to do so with mouthpiece on horn.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User
    chino valley arizona usa

Um, OK, I'll try some of this stuff..... I tried moving the slide and no effect..... I think my lips need more training, that's probably a big part of it, and I guess as a beginner I can't expect my tone to sound super good.

Yes, I've considered just letting it be flat for now, this new book (visual band method 1964 book I) has a lot of sight reading stuff, lots of simple tunes, and as I play them I might find the note being in tune just fine as I play because I like stuff to be in tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information