Trumpet Discussion Discuss C Trumpet Help, maybe its just me. in the General forums; I am currently working on a new piece and when I get up around F# and G on top of ...
    Pianissimo User Principaltrumpet's Avatar
    north texas

C Trumpet Help, maybe its just me.

I am currently working on a new piece and when I get up around F# and G on top of the staff, the crack horribly. I feel like I am starting the note too high and it causes the chip. But if I start the note lower I miss it all together. This isnt a problem i have had before. I just cant figure out what i am doing. I know it is hard to give advise without seeing or hearing me, but doesnt anyone have any suggestions?
    Yamaha "Chicago" C
    Yamaha "New York" Bb
    Blessing Eb/D
    Yamaha 6810S Picc
    Bach 2C

Joshua C. Ritchie

charlotte nc

Re: C Trumpet Help, maybe its just me.

This may sound silly...but I don't mean it to! First, you state that if you try coming in to the note "high". Then...come in to it "low". The obvious next thought should be...why not come at it in the CENTER! ??? That's where you want to live anyway! In the center of the pitch/note!

Here's another question.... What is the interval you are coming from just prior to the F# or G? (in other words, what's the note before you get there?). If, for example, you are going from a D in the staff to the F#..then that's a major 3rd. So...perhaps you practice some scales in 3rds, to get the knack of that interval. (as in starting on a D scale...D-F#, E-G, F#-A, etc..on up a D scale). If it's a 4ths. etc. Do these until they are comfortable. This includes being comfortable in your "mind" too.

Are you providing proper support to these tones? If you can sing, sing that same interval. Then, support the same way when you are playing it on the trumpet.

Lastly...have you cleaned your horn lately? Maybe there's some gunk in there that is helping cause this phenom. Regardless, practicing to eliminate this blip is the real key. Go for the center of the can do it! Have fun.....and best of success!
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Oklahoma City, OK

It could also be your ear fooling you! A lot of folks use muscle memory when they hear that High F# and G they're hearing G# and A in Bb pitch, relax and remember to just blow and let things happen naturally on the horn.
    Seid bereit, immer bereit. - down for construction-

what you describe happens to Bb players when switching to C. Jon adressed one issue, but I find the difference in tone to be a very likely cause.
    If you play a lot of Bb, you get used to that "brazen" sound. When switching to the C, I find the sound much more "liquid" and "clear". Your brain fights with that until it has been reprogrammed. If you consistently practice both, there is not as much "adjustment" necessary.
    One othe possibility is the basic intonation of your horn. Many C trumpets have a very flat Db/D,Eb/E and a pretty sharp F#/G. It takes time to get used to "bending" the notes.
    If your life presently has a lot of "tension" it can be ALL of the above. Your body and face can play tricks on you when you are wound up!
    My suggestion in times of trouble is always the same - get back to the basics: deep breath and exhale long tones - no tongue. Start in the middle register and work up and down. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE, just slow down! Once long tones in all registers come easy, then you can add Clarke and then think about adding the tongue.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

All excellent advice so far, but here's an equipment thing: if you are playing a Bach, a rounded tuning slide and/or amado keys fight fix that problem without any additional practice.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information