Trumpet Discussion Discuss Caliber of musicians... in the General forums; Hello good folxs, A lil background. *claps, yay! Story time*... So I'm a college kid and I love music and ...

Caliber of musicians...

Hello good folxs,
    A lil background. *claps, yay! Story time*... So I'm a college kid and I love music and the Art. In fact, I'm so enarmored with music that I am a muic education major. I am involved in almost every aspect of our college music program. I'm in the marching band, basketball band, trumpet choir, brass quintet, jazz band, concert band, musicals, etc. However, over the past few semesters I have become really depressed and am on the verge of saying "Screw it all!" and finding another major.
    I say this because it seems like no one else here gives a rat's butt about how they sound. I am by no means a great trumpet player but for once, just once I would like to play in a section that is of a higher caliber than myself... I'm sick of saying things that should be common knowledge like "Hold that till the rest, your 30 frikin' cents sharp, etc"
    Basically it just boils down to I'm fustrated and it seems like I'm gettin' worse playing with these people... So, any advice or stories to lighten me up? Thxs guyz.

Swing hard.

Pianissimo User
    Perhaps you picked a crappy school to go to.

The key to happiness is self-delusion -Dogbert

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Nazareth, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWK
    Perhaps you picked a crappy school to go to.

:? I don't think that was very helpful...

I know the feeling. Lived with it for several years back in HS. The thing you have to remember is that those people are temporary, your education is permanent. Don't waste time fussing over what they're doing. Focus on your playing, on your skills. Yeah, give them advice and be helpful when possible. The best thing at this point is probably to just keep pushing yourself, keep making yourself better. Keep a sharp eye out for opportunities to play with high caliber musicians. Just keep at it, you'll reach your destination and be very proud of yourself when you do.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Piano User
    AndrewWK might actually have it right(though he didn't say it very nicely). Maybe there's a better school for you to go to. Maybe you're ready to move on. Discuss your feelings with your private teacher. He might have some gems of wisdom for you.

Also, consider playing outside of school. It seems like you do a bunch of things in the school itself but you're probably playing with the same players and teachers in different ensembles. [Same $h!t, different day] I'm going to college for jazz and play in 4 groups outside of school(3 formal ensembles at school). I get to play different styles of music with different people. It keeps my chops going and keeps me interested. I'm also learning how to deal with crazy busy schedules.

Try dropping a group or two at school if possible and consider some outside groups. Perhaps a wind emsemble, brass band, or orchestra that requires and audition that's populated by the best high school and college players form the city. There're a bunch of those in Toronto. Maybe there are some good ones where you are. Finally, consider the fact that while you may go to a good school and it may be the right school for some people it might not have turned out to be right for you.

Lebanon, TN
    If you are feeling your trumpet section is holding you back, by ALL means, FIND A MORE COMPETITIVE SCHOOL!!!!! I personally believe that you can only sound your best when you play with those who are better than you. You become better in trying to come up to their level. I do understand that transferring is a big change, but if staying at where you are may jeopardize your love for music as well as your future in the music field.....

You have a lot to think about.

Newburgh, Indiana
    30 cent sharp ... and they cannot hear it? Oh my. Yank their slide out about 6 inches when they go on break.

I went to a very small college. I was by far ... and I mean by far the best instrumentalist at the school. The band played low end HS pieces at best. My HS band out played them by a lot (one of our HS trumpet players went on to play 7 years with Maynard).

I played in the local community orchestra. That helped. I found other good players and we made small groups and played in churches etc. I challenged myself with solos. Look around, there are often small groups within driving distance to play in.

If you really want a competitive environment ... try out for a drum corps this summer (if you are 21 or under) or find an area Brass Band. You do not necessarily have to change schools. Besides, and a music ed major, you will hear lots of out-of-tune bands in your lifetime.

Check out my site for Drum Corps info:

Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    I'd agree wholeheardly with the previous posters: find yourself some other groups to get involved with who play at a higher calibre than what you are exposed to at school. It doesn't matter if it's a brass quintet/quartet, trumpet choir, brass band, civic orchestra or whatever. Just DO IT. CHALLENGE YOURSELF. Start a group of necessary.

Our Community Band is bringing LA flautist, Jim Walker in for a spring concert. I took a look at his website and one of the things he has to say about becoming a session player was that you have to acquire a wide range of skill and experience and to play in as many orchestras as possible. .

Perhaps you have a unique opportunity here to demonstrate your skill as a leader. Offer to assist the band teacher/director. Host some sectionals. Don't just sit there and moan about how bad everyone else is... HELP THEM GET BETTER! At worst you will only help yourself.

Thread Information