Trumpet Discussion Discuss Callet Superchops? in the General forums; I've been doing some reading about the Callet Superchops, or Tongue Controlled Embouchure method. I was wondering if anyone here ...
    Piano User
    Camp Hill, PA

Callet Superchops?

I've been doing some reading about the Callet Superchops, or Tongue Controlled Embouchure method. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it or if anyone uses it. I'm pretty sure I understand the basic premise of it, but I'd love to learn more about it.

Rochester, MN
    From what I've read it appears to be a quite effective method for optimizing your high range at the cost of degrading one's intonation, tone and flexibility.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I don't know a thing about it, except that NickD has been talking about using a variation of it, and he ain't no slouch! I've been thinking about messing around with it. I wonder if you can keep gigging on a regular embouchure while you work on developing TCE.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Chicago northern suburbs

I hybridize

The way I play is pretty much a hybridization of so many different techniques as to make my thing pretty much that - MY thing. And I'm still learning! Yes, I have all of Callet's books, including his latest, Trumpet Secrets. There are some interesting ideas there. I took the time to call Jerry and talk over his thinking. I caught up with him at his booth at the ITG and we chatted some more. He had one of his protoges there demonstrating stuff. I found the discussions interesting and helpful.

In any case, I've read MANY different books: Gordon, Johnson, Caruso, to name a few, in addition to Callet. I tend to use ideas from each book as well as my own, in thinking things through when I practice.

I'd give Jerry a call and ask him about his ideas. He loves to talk to trumpeters!

Thread Information