Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Calling all female trumpet players out there! in the General forums; I know there is at least one more female trumpet player on this site. Just wondering if there are others ...
    New Friend

Calling all female trumpet players out there!

I know there is at least one more female trumpet player on this site.
    Just wondering if there are others out there and what your experiences have been like being a female trumpet player.
    For me it goes a little like this:

Started playing in public school, never had anyone think twice or anything strange about me being a female player.
    Played in a marching band, where I never experienced negative sexist things - for example I was given special treatment by a few guys because they had crushes on me. But was never made to feel below the men.
    Played in high school and in many youth organizations where I was treated equal.
    Then college started and it was a totally different experience. Was basically sexually abused by students and teachers, and never taken seriously as a trumpet player. Was told my only option to play was to move to LA and join the all female big band.

Played in other bands (with friends) obviously with no problem.

I joined a concert band back in Jan of this year, and within months I was promoted to first simply for my playing ablility and nothing to do with the fact that I am a female. Hoping the rest of my music career will trend this way.

Wondering if the other female players experienced the same kind of "abuse" I did?

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: Calling all female trumpet players out there!

Granted I am speaking as a male trumpet player and a musician. I always thought in music it was what you can do now and that was about it. Susan Slaughter has certainly had a wonderful career as a female trumpet player. (Principal with St. Louis)

New Friend

Well I wish all people were that way... I went to a Jazz school in Toronto and when I attended the teachers were the old school Jazz musicians and they told me many times when I complained about the treatment I received that I need to "just get used it because thats the way it is in the industry"....

It really put me off of playing for a long time... that school KILLED my confidence.... Luckily I have it back now and even better than before.

I'm not quite sure how to approach this thread. I know that there was an era where there were definitely gender roles associated with certain instruments and trumpet was a male-dominated instrument, but I just don't see that as being the case so much anymore. Those gender/instrument role lines are blurring more and more with each passing year and I just don't think it matters. Blindfolded, no one can tell anyway.

I was an event where drummer Cindy Blackman performed and did a Q&A. For those who may not know her, she graduated from Berklee and studied under Tony Williams, but is probably most noted for the work she did with Lenny Kravitz, and more recently on the VW commercials. (If you don't know who Tony Williams was, I can't help you other than to say to look him up.) Cindy was asked about being a woman playing an instrument that has been traditionally dominated by men. Her response was something to the effect that the only differece was probably in cup size. In short, if you can play, that's all that really matters.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Cincinnati, OH

I'm sorry that you had this experience. We have several female trumpet players in our community band and they've been in the group for years. Everyone is treated with respect and if someone is able to play and wants to play 1st trumpet parts, their needs are accommodated. We simply take turns sharing the wealth. We had a guest cornet soloist perform with us several years ago and she was awesome.

I have 3 daughters and we try to let them choose what they like. So far one percussionist, on took flute for a while, and the 3rd may be my trumpet player. She's dabbled in it and is pretty good, but I don't want to push her. You have to be in 5th grade to join the school band and she's in 4th. If I teach her now, she'd have to skip beginning band and play in the advanced. Then she'd quit because her friends are in the beginning band. We have her great grandmother's old trumpet so it would be neat for great grandma to see her playing her old horn.
    Greg Glassmeyer

Piano User

I think it's great that more females are playing the trumpet, they generally focus on more than who can just play high and loud :) (though I'm not saying there are no men who are like that, or women who can knock my house down from a few kilometres away)
    Main Horns:
    Will Spencer UK Bb trumpet
    Besson Sovereign

Curry 2M
    Curry 2DC

Sunny Ca.

I can't believe that would occur in the bastion of PC.... The college of the modern era.....
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Pianissimo User
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.

I'm sorry the lady musicians have to go thru all that. Maybe the genre has something to do with it? Jazz band vs orchestra vs church ensemble?
    Last edited by SCV81; 10-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Kanstul Powerbore soprano bugle

Mezzo Piano User

Out of the four lead players at my high school, three are girls-proof gender doesn't mean a thing when it comes to trumpet or any other instrument.

Norfolk, VA

I've had very few problems of that sort with other musicians. All of my college teachers were very encouraging, and wanted nothing more than to help me reach my full potential, AND they were all Jazz musicians! I've had the occasional problem in my career, but none of those people managed to be a real problem for me. I was taught by all of my teachers to be confident in my abilities, and I thank them for that. My first private teacher is still a close friend, and a while ago he said to me "All of my most successful students have been women. I wonder what that says about me?" I told him it was because he taught us not to be afraid!
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information