Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Calling all Music Elitist in the General forums; My wife called me a "Music Elitist" because I don't like watching American Idol, or comment when people mess up ...
    Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Calling all Music Elitist

My wife called me a "Music Elitist" because I don't like watching American Idol, or comment when people mess up performing.

She also says I can't just "listen" to music.

I think she might be right, oh geez
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: Calling all Music Elitist

I cannot stand American Idol, I just won't watch it.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

The Wide Brown Land

Hey Jason, very perceptive woman that one - tell her she has fine taste in men.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend
    Auckland, New Zealand

I rather watch Chris Botti on youtube than watching American Idol.....
    Yamaha 9335NY, 6610S, 6335H, 632
    B&H Imperial, Getzen Capri 590

Pianissimo User

Ellington's famous quote about good and bad music doesn't define "good" and "bad". My personal definition requires honest commitment to the moment, being open to spontaneous left turns, not copying others directly although we are of course a product of our influences; Simon Cowell's are will this person look good, mime well, not overtax the Antares Autotune etc and make money. People listen to music the way I like it, people listen to music the way Cowell likes it and the same for more variations than need listing here. I don't like Cowell's ethos but he has the same rights as I do so all that I can do is try to perform in my way, to try to reach out and touch the listener. The moment I try to handcuff the likes of Simon Cowell I become as bad as him. He is a product of the 21st century where mediocrity is championed and quality marginalised, treated with suspicion and derision.
    Bach Strad A190 LR43 Bronze bell
    Olds Custom Eb/D trumpet
    Olds L-12 flugel
    Olds Opera Premiere cornet
    Eclipse flugel

Mezzo Forte User

I think you like what you like, it's as simple as that. It's a huge waste of time to try to change other people's preferences, and it's foolish to substitute someone else's judgment for your own. Listen to what you like, be open minded about new stuff, and don't listen to what doesn't appeal to you.

I like Chuck's quote, "Don't be afraid to see what you see." You just can't expect everyone else to see the same thing.

I kind of enjoy American Idol, but I'm a beer elitist. You gotta go with what works.

Ithaca NY

Broadcast TV will rot your brain completely. We use ours only for DVDs.

As far as listening to music, I know many folks who cannot do that. Put on something you want to hear - that you want them to hear - and in a short time they will begin to talk instead of listen. If you do this, you need to learn how to listen, and it is not something that can be done without some practice and discipline. When you focus on listening, you will not be inclined to speak.

If you DO watch broadcast TV, and not alone, I think it is rude to comment on what you see and hear. If you don't like it, go practice and let your good woman enjoy it without you.

Last edited by veery715; 05-14-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Cincinnati, OH

my wife is pretty tone deaf, so she relies on the rest of the family to give her an indication of how well someone does. I haven't tried to figure out just how tone deaf, but if my wife thinks there's something wrong, then there's major problems.

I don't mind the young kids trying to become stars making mistakes, but the guest hip hop artists who show how little talent they have amaze me. The Black Eyed Peas, P Diddy and Usher all couldn't sing worth a crap. Usher, might be able to sing if he weren't dancing around so much, but I'm not so sure.

I just love when the judges contradict themselves every week. One week the kids get "you need to make the song your own" the next week they get "you've taken a classic and changed to the point it can't be recognized". I also hate that the judges always have to say something/make some comment. Sometimes that leads them to say the same old crap or make something up. they should be allowed to stick with "nice job, I liked it" or "oooo, not so good this week"

We all talk during the show but try to at least listen to the performances.

it gives us something to argue about
    Greg Glassmeyer

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: Calling all Music Elitist

For me, it depends on who the contestants are. Some years I could care less. This year I'm interested because one of the top three is from the northwest area of my state. She's down to earth and doesn't show a huge ego, besides, she CAN sing pretty good and stays true to herself. I also agree about some of the so-called "mentors" and some of the groups they've had on. Not worth two whoops and a holler..........Buck
    Last edited by Buck with a Bach; 05-14-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by jason_boddie View Post
    My wife called me a "Music Elitist" because I don't like watching American Idol, or comment when people mess up performing.

She also says I can't just "listen" to music.

I think she might be right, oh geez
    be proud of yourself

90% of the population is diminished, their minds are diminished, but they are good consumers, good tax-payers, good 9AM-5PMers, and unfortunately they have to exist in order for world to go on. Did you watch that movie when that guy travels to the future, well those who live beneath the ground and dig metals are that people. Wee need them. God bless them. But the same time, thank you God you didnt make me one of them.

blame economy, blame capitalism, blame whom you want, but thats just the way it is. accept it. And be thankfull your not one of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information