Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Can't count! in the General forums; 5/4: Watch your step there sir, Please get off my foot, Next time when you ask, Me to dance I ...
    Ithaca NY

Re: Can't count!

Watch your step there sir,
    Please get off my foot,
    Next time when you ask,
    Me to dance I won't.

Also, you CAN count 3/4 as just 1. That's how you skate to the Skater's Waltz. Left(2,3), right(2,3), left, right - you can feel it.
    Last edited by veery715; 08-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I think it was "Om pa pa" that got me into the Strauss waltzes. Still, it was doing a circle waltz with my present wife that made it the best, but with my health issues any type of dancing is now just a memory. I consider being able to now walk and not often using my cane to be a blessing. Still, it was the spotlight on us as we danced a polka at a surveyor's convention that cleared the floor ... and though the picture looks like I did a flying split over a table for eight, I swear I did not.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 08-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.

San Pedro

When ever I am working on a difficult meter I always try to get the down beat and the preceding beat ... for the " and -one " feel ... even if you lose the time in the middle of the measure you can get right back on track. The suggestion about 2 -3 - downbeat is similar just taking it out another beat.
    Try setting your metronome to just click on 1 of every measure ... click -two -three - click - two three ..
    If you find you are moving your body down on the one of every measure you are getting the feel... hope that makes sense.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information