Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Can't stop slurring!!! in the General forums; When i play i slur. Almost all of the time. It just feels more natural flowing out of me and ...
    Pianissimo User
    San Francisco

Can't stop slurring!!!

When i play i slur. Almost all of the time. It just feels more natural flowing out of me and easier. If i'm learning a new song i will always slur through it at first. Im still a novice but will this be seriously detrimental to my development later on?

(I don't play in a band or have I ever had a teacher)

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Re: Can't stop slurring!!!

Not necessarily. For example, there are some exercises in the front of Arban, they're actually more difficult to play slurring.

But you should really practice all articulations regardless of your favorites.

tobylou8 likes this.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Pianissimo User
    San Francisco

Funny! Its going through the first arbans excercises right now, that i am doing! Slurring helps me play it so much that i can start to get the melody, then learn it. I dont have anyone to play it for me to hear it first. Thanks.

Are you slurring your notes or are you slurring your words? Because, you know, that could be a whole other issue ...

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Santa Cruz County, CA

Articulation is vitally important in ensemble playing. If you aspire to play in groups you'll need to learn to articulate. I wish all brass players were required, at some point, to sing in a mixed choir. There's so much musicality to learn, in such a naked setting -- where there's no piece of plumbing between you and the music.

You could learn all the musicality stuff in a men's choir, or barbershop quartet, quite frankly, but I specified a mixed choir because they're good opportunities to meet women.

But I digress. Choral singers are exhorted to over-emphasize pronunciation, because when a mob is all trying to say the same thing at once the words get muddy. If you watch a good choir you'll see some comical facial expressions, as the singers do this emphatic pronunciation.

The same thing applies to trumpet players in a section, except that there are usually no women within flirting range.

But I digress again. When you play in a section, you need to over-emphasize everything.

At this point I'm sure lots of people are rolling their eyes. Yes, it's possible to overdo articulation. I'm sure many of us have dealt with a player with a sledge-hammer tongue -- one who couldn't do legato if their life depended on it. But if your instinct is to slur everything, you need to learn to articulate most things.

There should be plenty of amateur groups to play with in San Francisco -- join one, and you'll start gaining experience.
    tobylou8 and mgcoleman like this.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Articulation is the basis of all communication. By only slurring, you seem to accept a much lower ability to get the musical point across. Synchronizing your playing with articulation is the first step to a new world understandable by others.
    tobylou8 and Phil986 like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Hillsborough, NJ

Composers put in all kinds of articulation for a reason, and if you slur all of it you sound like you aren't playing very well. It's best to become proficient at all the tonguing necessary to become an accomplished Trumpet player and really interpret the music as it was intended.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    BigDub comments welcome!
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Quote Originally Posted by the newbie View Post
    will this be seriously detrimental to my development later on?
    Succinctly (staccato ), YES!!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

North Carolina

Tongue articulation is an acquired skill that comes as a result of practice..
    If practicing your trumpet isnt developing that skill as fast as you want, you
    may look to nature for a little help.......
    The frog for instance...has incredible tongue movement acquired by flicking
    flys and bugs and stuff.....
    I would imagine to mimick a frogs tongue flicking might get a fat lazy tongue moving.....
    You'd just have to be careful not to acquire a taste for insects along with tongue articulation skills..
    I can only imagine how well a frog could play a trumpet if he had some
    big soft lips to go with that tongue of his.....
    Good luck on getting that tongue moving!!!

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Seems you're acknowledgeing that articulation does not come easy to you. All the more reason to do extra work on it. Articulation is part of the music, can't make any without it. Music is a language, a very unique and complex one. It requires to articulate sounds, no way around that.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information