Trumpet Discussion Discuss Case Smell in the General forums; Hey all, I recently bought a new case, the Protec Travel Light Trumpet Case. First off, it's a great case ...

Case Smell

Hey all,

I recently bought a new case, the Protec Travel Light Trumpet Case. First off, it's a great case if you're looking for lightweight and compact yet durable. Can't say enough about how I love it. The only thing, is that the interior of the case smells kind of bad. I don't know what it is, possibly from something chemical-wise used in the upholstering process, or whatever it may be. Obviously, this isn't a huge issue and it will go away over time, but I was wondering if anyone has any relatively easy methods for removing odors? I just don't want to be the guy who opens the case the causes people to pass out. (Obviously it isn't that extreme but you get my drift).

Sidenote: it is not the "wonderful" scent of spilled valve oil. My student horn came with a case that reeked of valve oil. Someone literally had to have squeezed some out into the case for it to smell that strong... I know what that smells like and this is not that.

I appreciate any response that you may be able to give!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Getzen Eterna 900 Classic
    *In search of a used, but still loved and working, silver flugel*
    "Blow my face off!!" - Blue Devils Hornline. If you have 1 minute, watch this.

2014 Bluecoats "Tilt" Pitch Bend. Watch this, and make sure your volume is really really loud.

Great Southern Land

Re: Case Smell

You may find this page enlightening (or depressing) reading:

Campaign to Ban Chemical-Emitting Smelly Plastic from China

Did you get the smell in the shop, and can you go back there to take a sniff of the other Protec (or other brands) cases there? I presume the case is still new, and has a warranty/guarantee, and if you bought it from a local vendor then it should be subject to the consumer and safety laws in your country, so if you are worried about your health or ongoing comfort I'd consider exchanging it or returning it if you can't find a solution to the smell. I think I read somewhere somebody sprinkled some essential oils in the case, and elsewhere that one of those "fabric freshener" cloths (often used in tumble driers) helped.

Good luck,

Well, valve oil might work again, in a pinch, LOL! Maybe try Febreze?
    Bach Strad (1980) 37 w/1st valve trigger
    Buescher True-Tone LP 9 (1926)
    Getzen Eterna (1985) 4-valve flugel
    Bestler valve trombone
    Getzen Field Trumpet
    Getzen Titleist soprano bugle (1979)
    too many other bugles in the collection to list

Quote Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
    Well, valve oil might work again, in a pinch, LOL! Maybe try Febreze?
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

First, as long as there is valve oil on your valves you are most likely to smell it when you open your case. I don't know any valve oil that doesn't have an odor, petroleum based or synthetic. Whether such is obnoxious or not is in the smell of the beholder. This said, such is not to say there isn't an interaction of its gases with the upholstery of the case. Possibly stuffing the bell and receiver would block such valve oil gases.

Reiterating, I put punched zip lock type bags in my case that contain a Bounce laundry dryer sheet. I like its odor as doesn't seem to bother my COPD, and it seems to me it smothers or absorbs other odors.I could suggest than the Bounce be removed and replaced periodically. Shucks all my laundered clothing smells of Bounce, as does my bedding.

Dayton, Ohio

Or you can squirt in a lady's perfume. Nothing, I mean nothing can cut through the smell of lady's perfume!

But explaining the smell to your wife my be a different issue. Better yet, use your wife's perfume! If you are not married, then this shouldn't be and issue.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Forte User

Years ago I purchased a custom-built case for my trumpet, flugelhorn, and mutes. It had a strong chemical smell from the adhesives and perhaps also the upholstery, and it wouldn't take very long for tarnish to form on my horns that didn't occur at all in their original cases. Leaving the case open most of the time (defeating the purpose of the case) eventually reduced the chemical outgassing problem, but I'm dissatisfied at the amount of time it took. I wonder if enclosing a case with this problem in a confined area with an ozone generator would speed up the (I presume, correctly or not) oxidation process. Of course, then you would have the stench of ozone to deal with, and you'd have to wait until that dissipated.

Perhaps sprinkling baking soda in the case might help, as it can in automobile upholstery, but vacuuming the stuff out is a real bear; there always seems to be a bit of residue, no matter how diligent you are at trying to remove it.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Thread Information