Trumpet Discussion Discuss center tone flugelhorn... in the General forums; ..... by Schiller manufactured in Germany, which has 1st and 3rd valve extensions that are intended to "center" or help ...
    New Friend
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!

Smile center tone flugelhorn...

..... by Schiller manufactured in Germany, which has 1st and 3rd valve extensions that are intended to "center" or help keep the tone of the horn balanced. Seems to make sense as my memory of playing flugelhorns is that they were hard to keep in pitch, even with working valve levers... I'm wanting that sound again in my life, and I've only owned one before - an Salvation Army brand (stamped on the bell) manufactured in England. It was a bear to play, and probably of low quality.... recently, when a friend got Chuck Mangione's signature for me on a program, my serious interest was reignited!... if anyone has experience with Schiller or a quality flugelhorn (at a reasonable cost) please advice at your leisure... any input is appreciated...always in search of the good sounds.... with your generous help here at TrumpetMaster, I know I'm in good company....I've done a lot of reading on different makes, and know how each is unique, and the "must play" laws of purchasing, but your knowledge helps immensely..... thanx!

Piano User
    New Hampshire

Re: center tone flugelhorn...

I purchased a Phaeton flugelhorn at the ITG convention in Harrisburg, after having tried it and having had my trumpet-major son try it, we agreed that it had a sweet sound and good intonation. They seem to have a list price of $1500 or so, but many places sell them for less. Look on-line and see what's available. The bell isn't as big as my son's Courtois flugelhorn, but when we play duets, the tones are very compatible with each other.

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

I am playing a Courtois and find intonation tricky through a whole tune. Folks have suggeted using alternate fingerings. Currently, I am just listening to the band as i play and lip it (try) into tune. Any other first hand experience?

Schiller is the cheapest of cheap. Any claims I would call "marketing" and not technically sound.

It is not hard to build an in tune instrument simply by using the correct length of tubing as well as an appropriate leadpipe and mouthpiece.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information