Trumpet Discussion Discuss Change up gets a thumbs up in the General forums; Awhile back I was in a rut and rowuk advised back to basics. This worked, and I felt pretty good. ...
    Pianissimo User

Change up gets a thumbs up

Awhile back I was in a rut and rowuk advised back to basics. This worked, and I felt pretty good. I am doing 2 hrs per day and working Arbans, Clarkes and my gig book. Pretty much the same thing the last six months. Although my range and power feel pretty good, I just felt like I had made little progress lately. I was moving forward thru the books but felt stale. Anyhow I got some play alongs and started doing 45 min with them each day. Listening to my tone and blending as best I can. After about a week I says is that me playing? That's the best I have sounded. Taking it easy but playing to F and trying to make a really good sound and really fill the horn. Not playing high, just in the staff and working on sound and endurance. It is working, I feel like I have made a little step forward. Now I don't give full credit to the play alongs. I think the change up in my practice sessions has done some good.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Change up gets a thumbs up

I have had the opportunity to work with world-class musicians, and it was pretty fun. The strange experience was that in playing with these folk, there were like these huge empty places just waiting for my note to drop in. At our best, we would play a piece so that it was easy for the other musicians to play, despite the "difficulty" of the piece.

I suspect that you have made progress along these lines--more technique to be sure, but more ears as well!

Have fun--the trumpet is pretty darned cool, to be sure!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information