Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss change your mind, not your mouthpiece in the General forums; http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Stra...26/mental.html...
    Forte User

change your mind, not your mouthpiece

Neurolinguistic Programming (commonly referred to as NLP) is a fairly new set of techniques which can be thought of as "software for the mind." It deals with the structure of experience and learning to model the behavior of someone who performs any skill at a high level. If you are familiar with the visualization exercises described in Psycho-Cybernetcs you will find these techniques similar but more powerful.

Yep, for some.

There are very real limits to NLP -- and it is not all that new. I can visualize and do mental work to sound like Maynard on a bass trombone and it won't happen. I can do the mental work to become a great tennis player, but with my bad back and back surgeries, it will be unlikely I will be in the US Open.

No doubt you have to be mentally sharp. No doubt either, that if you are mismatched to your setup, you will be fighting against things. Do pro tennis players use $25 garage sales rackets?

As a mental health therapist I have never been a big fan of NLP. Limited uses and often the results are short term. Mihaly Csikszenthihalyi's book titled "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" is much better. It looks at and discusses how to get into pure concentration. We all have experienced this at sometime in our lives.

Now the book is great in concept, but I really dislike the "new age" self-centeredness of the tone. Ignore that, and he has hit some great truths.

But never underestimate equipment. Never overestimate it either. Equipment can be limiting -- it can also be freeing. But it is only part of the answer in any case.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Forte User
    i wonder how many pro tennis games are decided by the gear? i bet it isnt many.

as far as visualization :

i find it a good tool to perfect the trumpet in the head, i still have to practice the trumpet in my hand!!

i have been to hear the Atlanta Symphony numerous times, just seeing and hearing people like Mark Hughes and Chris Martin play i feel like i walk away a better player....to see and hear those guys as i am about to play certainly helps, and would add that hearing someone live seems to stick with me better than a CD ever would.

now to go practice!

Quote Originally Posted by dizforprez
    i wonder how many pro tennis games are decided by the gear? i bet it isnt many.
    Pro tennis matches aren't decided by the gear for the simple reason that all of the pros are playing with top notch gear. If you put a $25 garage sale racquet in the hands of one of the competitors, I would be willing to bet that it would make a considerable difference in the overall outcome of the match.

I tend to agree with M&C that your gear can be limiting to a player. I remember once playing alongside a guy who was playing a mid level horn and he was struggling. Then, he wound up with a pretty decent Strad and it made a BIG difference in his playing for the better. Was it the horn, or the fact that because he thought he had a better horn, he was playing better? It could have been a little bit of both, but I'm betting the better horn was the bigger difference.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Pianissimo User
    Tennis used to be played with racquets made of wood with gut strings. Then along came a few ideas and a change in technology.

It was clear that the "sweet spot" on an older racquet was smaller and had less forgiveness than the newer racquets did.

It was clear that a new technology racquet [larger, lighter, etc.] was easier to play with [not only by beginners but also by professionals]

The new technology included larger racquets, better strings, more rigid and lighter frames [you didn't need a clamp to help them hold their shape]

Not only were there improvements but there were also reductions in cost of equipment.

There was a continuing flap about whether the new technology was "cheating" or if it should not be permitted. It was even argued that it reduced the skill level of professionals. All in all, great fun.

I am not aware of anyone today who uses a wooden tennis racquet.

Same with bicycles. When you compare the newer ones with past models you find that they are probably the most highly engineered vehicles on the road.

Trumpet technology [limited only by the physics of the trumpet itself] has been the subject of a substantial amount of engineering by an incredible amount of musicians, engineers, and others. There was a time when it was deemed impossible to make an instrument with three valves that could play all the notes in an octave with any precision. [pay no attention to the trombones]

While trumpet improvements are not as visible as in some other areas [tennis racquets, bicycles] there are many. [look at trumpets made prior to the early 1900s as a group]

My point, if there is one, is to get what you think/feel is the best for you. Odds are you will play better [whatever that might mean] and you just might find that you enjoy it more.

The newer trumpets [I include all makes] are internally more precise than they ever have been, they can be played [not by all but by some] throughtout a four or more octave range with little or no "misssed" notes, you can choose whether you like an "open" horn or not, what kind of mouthpiece fits you best, and on and on.

We can even discuss, argue, and gripe about it all. What more can a person ask?

THE DOWNSIDE --- You will not be able to blame your failures on your trumpet. [small price to pay]

Fortissimo User
    And let's not even get into golf technology!

Pianissimo User
    NONE, I repeat, NONE of the rules governing trumpet equipment apply to golf equipment.

EVERYONE KNOWS it is always the fault of the ball or the equipment

Mezzo Piano User
    I totally agree Dr G. In my second year of playing golf, I still can't find a set of clubs that is able to drive the ball 300 yards. Can you believe that?
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Pianissimo User
    Your failure to find appropriate golf equipment is tragic.

I have just the club you need.

My new [patent applied for] "00" Driver is a true heavyweight with stainless steel head enclosing a 12 guage blank shotgun shell. Upon impact the shell fires, adding substantial velocity to your ball.

I suggest that your foursome partners will "ooh" and "aah" at the very grashness of your gear. There is a chance, however that they will violate all rules of decorum and fall to the ground and/or make obscene and crude gestures.

Never mind, you will be able to outdrive them under all circumstances.

Cost of balls will increase as some are lost and some are destroyed. [I have been unable to interest any of the ball makers in improving their product sufficiently to work effectively with my "00" club.

Fortissimo User
    HA! And another topic is successfully hijacked! (and they didn't even see it coming!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information