Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Are cheaper trumpets eayer to play in the General forums; I am askin this because I was trying a few trumpets the other day in the shop and I somehow ...
    Piano User

Are cheaper trumpets easier to play

I am askin this because I was trying a few trumpets the other day in the shop and I somehow detected a frightening pattern (dunno can be only in my head, psychological thing) but the cheaper the trumpet was it was easier to play it felt more comfortable and the register was also better than more expensive ones I tried everything form chine made 170eur up to 5000 eur Yamahas I tryied nearly every yamaha in the shop from ytr8335 to ytr 6335, also some yupiters and other marques that I forgot, but the pattern was always the same more expensive- more dificult to play

can it be that since only trumpet that I ever had or played was Roy Benson TR101 a very basic school trumpet that I got for 170 euros??? Can it be that I developed my playnig around that cheap trumpet and now only cheap works for me!? it is strange. it shouldnt be that way.

I have that trumpet for 2 years now and I bought a cheap one because I was complete beginner than. Now after 2 yrs of practice and some 30 hours with a teacher I want to buy something more serious, somewhere around 700 euros (1000 USD) But I sipmple sound more worse than while playnig my old Roy Benson. So buying new one is pointless really, from that perspective.

what should I do? The money is in question and I do not want to spend 1000USD for a trumpet that will rest in case while I will be and playing my old trumpet. Can a bit of practice on new trumpet(some 10 hours or so help my case) if so I cannot ask the shop to lend me a trumpet for a weeek so that I can evaluate. If I buy it I will have to buy it after that 10 minutes that they gave me. I will have to make my choice upon that. tricky really.

Also I have to mention that all trumpets I tried in that shop were not properly oiled, maybe thats the case, but then all of them werent oiled neither expensive neither cheap and there was still significant difference (as mentioned above)

help me please

Last edited by chet fan; 08-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Piano User

Re: Are cheaper trumpets eayer to play

can a moderator please change the word "eayer" into "easier" that I someow manage misspell in the title, and I can not find a way to edit it myself. thank you.

Re: Are cheaper trumpets eayer to play.

It might appear that way at first, but I don't think you would still feel that way over time. I remembered when I picked up my niece's cheap student level Yamaha Horn. At first, I thought I could really play well on it. It had a very bright sound and made my tone kind of sizzle. Over time, though, I really began to feel the limitations of the sound and control of the horn in all registers. I could not stand to play it more than 15-20 minutes before I went back to my Bach Strad.

First impressions aren't always what we think.
    Vintage Trumpets
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Heart of Dixie

I agree. They play easier at first impression, but the tradeoff is intonation and tone.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Maybe: It is possible that you got used to the imperfections of cheaper trumpets (perhaps it is not as free blowing as a pro model) and you respond better with them. I would say that you would quickly get used to a good horn.

Of course, this is my opinion alone and would wait to see what others say first.

New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by chet fan View Post
    can a moderator please change the word "eayer" into "easier" that I someow manage misspell in the title, and I can not find a way to edit it myself. thank you.
    Chet Fan,

Click on "edit" at the bottom of your post.

Stan J.

What is to reach the heart must come from above. If it does not, it will be nothing but notes, body without spirit.
    --Ludwig van Beethoven

Music is God's best gift to man. The only art of heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven.
    --Letitia Elizabeth Landon

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Chet Fan,
    You have raised a very interesting, thought-provoking, and in some ways, troubling issue. As I read your original question, it appears that you are looking for a new trumpet primarily because you have some idea that this is what 'serious' players do. Yes, there are certain trumpets that have this 'mystique' or 'image' of being pro horns and represent an attainment goal - both financial and prestige - for improving players to shoot for. I do not argue against this goal. I think it has as much merit as any other goal. But, in your case, perhaps the goal has as many pitfalls as benefits.

If you search through this forum, you will find many threads that discuss the differences between 'student' horns and 'pro' horns. As you look at the details of the comments (most actually do not have any details which is part of the problem but look for those that do) you will see that most of them focus on the 'features' of the trumpet rather than on the 'benefits'. That is classical marketing sleight-of-hand. We are told that a certain product is better because it is New-And-Improved or has other technical advantages but we are not told What-is-in-it-for-me information. Also, there are threads that point out quite plainly that many student horns play as well or better than many pro horns. I do not doubt that there are certain players who can really use a $5000 trumpet and make it show its stuff. But, most of us cannot do that. So we are left to simply finding the trumpet that sounds the best for us.

So, back to your question. It is possible that given enough time and practice, you could make one of the pro horns really come alive and be yours. The problem is, which one? How can you try them long enough to figure that out? When I first started my comeback, I figured that my 50-year old Selmer was too old and too outdated to be a good player and that my lack of good tone was the fault of the horn. I bought a bunch of others (I did not spend any real money as I already had figured out that I could not play any better on a $5000 horn) but I bought different models to see where the differences are. Now, after 4 months of playing different trumpets almost daily to detect the differences, I am barely beginning to be able to tell. And, so far, my original Selmer - along with my resurrected 1955 Olds Ambassador - play better than any of them. I have even gone to several music stores and played Yamaha Xeno's and Bach Strads and have not found that I sound any better on those. So, I am sticking where I am for now. I am not ready to spend the money just to say that I have progressed and I have not found any other way to approach this concern.

Good luck in your search. Maybe you will find a better way.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User

thank you all for your comments

I do not want to buy a new trumpet just because I want a new one, but because this one is really horrible I can hear valve springs scraching, the slides are loose so they are virtually useless as they are filled with vaseline to prevent air form coming out, etc etc, but I sound good while playing it and it is relatively easy to play, but it is going to fell apart definately one day. TBH I didnt expect anything else form 170euro (200USD) trumpet. So I am in the need for a new one.

If the shop would only let me try each trumpet for a few days and let me oil the valves properly than it would be easier for me to decide, but this way with only 10 minutes and with a sticking valves it is very hard to pick the trumpet
    Last edited by chet fan; 08-25-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Levittown , NY

Re: Are cheaper trumpets easier to play

Cheaper trumpets may seem easier to play, because they are usually student models, these horns are built for durability and ease of playing for undeveloped embouchure's , a pro-horn would have better sound and projection and other extras, and really benefits a seasoned player, where a student might have trouble "filling up" a pro-horn.

Sunny Ca.

If you want to stick your toe in the water without paying a lot of $$ get an Olds Ambassador or special model off ebay. I bet you will be very happy for another couple years and you can save some $$ for a pro horn......
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information