Trumpet Discussion Discuss Chest infection in the General forums; As the title suggests - I've got a chest infection. I'm on antibiotics and have been given an athsma inhaler ...

Chest infection

As the title suggests - I've got a chest infection. I'm on antibiotics and have been given an athsma inhaler thing (!) because I'm having trouble breathing properly.

Trouble is: I can't play the trumpet properly at the moment (linked, I suppose to the breathing problem). Should I lay off until it gets better, or keep trying to practice?

It's very frustrating!

Jack.

Lay off! Your lungs need a break...
    ~Annie

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

I wouldn't play with the horn. The temptation to breathe deep is great. I would buzz on the mouthpiece with short breaths as much as you feel comfortable with. Buzzing requires less air, but is still good work for the embouchure. That way when you infection is gone, you won't be totally dead.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Pianissimo User
    If you do decide to keep playing or buzzing, make sure to sanitize your horn/mouthpiece. The same bacteria that caused your illness loves to live in warm damp places and you don't want to chance a reinfection once you get well.

By the way, make sure you take your whole regimen of antibiotics, even if you feel better before they run out.

Get well soon!

Thanks for the tips guys - I think I'm already getting better, I'm just itching to start practising properly again.

Thread Information