Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Choir vs. Band in the General forums; Well I myself am a student. I hate making theses types of decisions. It's kind of like the Robert Frost ...
    Banned Pianissimo User

Re: Choir vs. Band

Well I myself am a student. I hate making theses types of decisions.
    It's kind of like the Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken",
    If you choose to do just band you will never now were you might have gotten with choir
    Or Vice Versa
    What I would say just as a person and in my opinion is just do what you like most.
    Or if it is possible to juggle the two then do it. Because I want to take choir but I can't because of my schedule.
    As for the leadership thing, If you like it in band and you are a leader and looked up to in the Band I would recommend staying in Band because you should ALWAYS do your best whenever you do something not half way.

That is just some of what I think, Just remember that is my opinion. Don't let anyone make the decision for you, ALWAYS make on your own but be sure to think it through.

Your band director has already set a precedent by allowing other students to have an every other day schedule. If you push enough he/she would either have to let you do chorus, or stop the other band members from doing chorus every other day. Of course there's no guarantee your band director wouldn't have hard feelings about it that might impact negatively on you.

The other issue, which has already been mentioned, is which one is more important to you and your continuing education? Are you considering being a voice or instrumental major?

tough position to be in, but there's always going to be tough choices that must be made.

Good Luck,
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Pianissimo User

I would have to agree with oldlou, if its one or the other stick with the trumpet/band and wait 'till you get to college. I'm a non-traditional music student (that's politically correct for an old guy going back to college). My background with the trumpet made the transition to choir pretty easy, however I did find that ear training combined with singing the intervals helped my trumpet playing. You can do that on you own.
    Bach Strad 180S-37
    Conn Vintage One Flugel
    Yamaha 'Student' Flugel

Willamette Valley, Oregon

First off, thanks for all the replies. Now to try answering all the questions...

I'm hoping to major in either Music Performance (trumpet) or Jazz Studies. The only reason why this is even an issue because it does seem like staying with the band is the better choice, is that my school's choir is winning awards left and right, most recently placed first in the nation for concert choir at an Inaugural Festival in Wash. DC. The band, however, leaves me with headaches nearly every day, nobody cares about the music any more, and the few people that do care about the music are looking to drop out at the semester because they don't plan on moving on to music. Worst of all, I'm starting to feel some serious trumpet burnout because my only musical relief, my combo group, is having bassist issues.

I don't have any other way to work on vocal stuff with other people because the church I go to is really lacking in the youth music department, plus if/when I get into that I'd be playing trumpet rather than singing.
    Yamaha YTR 6335HS
    B&S 5C
    Wedge 5DC w/ Wedge M Backbore

Mezzo Forte User

If it was me, with those goals, I'd stick it out in the band, even if it's frustrating.

If you major in music or become a professional, you will play in groups you don't enjoy from time to time. And you'll feel burned out sometimes...everyone does. But if you're serious about the trumpet, you have to keep going, keep practicing and remember why you like to play in the first place.

With regards to the "award winning"...I wouldn't place much value on any of those. There are so many events all over the place handing out prizes like Halloween candy it hardly means anything anymore in terms of ensemble quality. The for-profit "festivals" that do this range from being semi-worthless fun to being outright exploitative financially.

As a school orchestra director myself, I consider it my responsibility to talk about scheduling with administration with my band and choir colleagues so that we can keep options open for students. As an elementary student I was blessed with a program that allowed me to play clarinet in band, sing in choir, and play violin in orchestra!

That being said, echoing others' sentiments...once you've gotten a "taste" of all the different disciplines, at some point we all need to buckle down and focus on doing one thing really well first before branching out again. Assuming your vocal chords are intact, you'll be able to enjoy singing for the rest of your life, even when your chops fail. But if you're even remotely interested in a career playing your instrument, at this time in your life every minute on it counts!

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Get used to it life is full of not so fair deal's!!! Wait until college and they have you on a rotation basedon your major. Get off just once and it throw's your entire class schedueling into a tail spin!! You know what else wasnot fair!!! Hormones!!! I had to give up choir because I went from Saprano to sounding like I had a box of gravel in my wind pipe and so deep that I sounded like some 40 year old truck driver named Spike! Life is not going to give you everthing you want so best get used to minor disapointment's. Same thing happens with sports often two that you like are done at the same time! Hard to be in two places at once! So you can not for example run cross country and play tennis,football, or golf same thing goes for Wrestling,basketBall,Volleyball and then you have track,baseballand soccer. DO not think for one minute that some would like not to do two conflicting sports but they can not.

I do not blame your band teacher. You are part of a team andhave a job to do. Band is a team event not about the individual. If you are not a team player then maybe they would be better off with out you!! DO not cheat your team! If one man goes through the door all of his team members go through the door right behind him. Your team has to know that you have their back and will put the team first! Their is no I in a team! Maybe your band does not have esprit de cor or comradery but they should!!! I think that while it is sad thatyou can not do both you need to stop thinking so much about yourself and stop the pity party now before you end up looking like a jerk in front of your friends and fellow band member. If I was in band with you and I heard you complaining about being cheated out of choir Iwould think that maybe we the rest of the band where not good enough for you! That can start a big problem for you with your fellow band geek friends!

P.S. Have you consider joining a church choir? You do not need to belong to the church often times to sing inthe choir or play an dinstrument. I am Roman Catholic and but our organist is protastent. She plays the organ for several church's int he area. You following me? If you look hard enough you can find or make opertunities for yourself and that is a lot more productive then complaining about how unfair life is or haveing a pity party! We all do it from time to time but I find teenager's tend to be much more public about it which is not always a good thing when a team is involved!I would say be grateful that you have band and a good band program many kids would kill for the oppertunity you take for granted!
    Last edited by lovevixen555; 01-29-2009 at 09:59 PM.

This is not your problem. This is a problem for your parents, the principal and the school board. Choosing between choir and band should not have happened. The school board needs to direct the principal to provide equal opportunity for students to participate in all music programs. Music is an academic program. It is not an extracurricular activity. The school board needs to lead in the academic direction and split the schedule for chorus and band.

Get it done.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information