Trumpet Discussion Discuss Choosing a teacher in the General forums; I know this must be an old topic but I didn't see anything in the archives that addresses the questions ...
    Piano User
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA

Choosing a teacher

I know this must be an old topic but I didn't see anything in the archives that addresses the questions I have so I'm bringing it up again.

First, the background. I'm getting back into the instrument after a multi-decades long layoff. For the past 10 weeks I've been working on fundamentals that were learned, lost, and now being recovered. It's time to take the next step and choose a teacher.

Note that I say "choose" and not "find" a teacher. I think that the process is analogous to choosing a doctor. I've had good doctors and not-so-good doctors and at this point in my life I know the questions to ask a doctor to see if he or she is likely to be the kind of doctor to whom I would give my confidence.

I would like to make an intelligent choice in choosing a teacher but I'm not sure how to make a good evaluation. I know there are no sure things, but on the other hand I don't want to leave it purely to chance.

So I'm asking people who have gone through this process, what are your criteria for choosing a teacher?

Forte User

Re: Choosing a teacher

Depending on where you live your choices may be limited. If you're in a fairly populated area you can look for local pro's who also teach. You can reach out to local college's/universities and see if their trumpet staff will give lessons. If you still run into dead-ends contact the music directors from high schools in your area and ask them for recommendations.

Good luck.

Piano User
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA

Thank you gb. I live in northern NJ, and I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance. Finding a teacher shouldn't be too difficult. My question is concerned with choosing a teacher.

Mezzo Piano User

hub d dup, i have a list of teachers in our area ill try and locate and get back to you quickly. They are all approved by my music department, and should be top notch.
    Last edited by RHSbigbluemarchingband; 08-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Greensboro, NC

your analogy to choosing a doctor is very good. As a comeback player you'll need someone who understands your situation as an adult. It's not the same as a beginner through college level player. Some one who knows how to help you with good playing habits and maybe to help with old bad habits. Someone who doesn't adhere to a rigid methodology. It helps if they have extensive experience as a pro and as a teacher. Of my current students two are comeback players and they both needed very different aproaches. By the way they are both web cam students. It's really something that I can work with someone in Wisconsion and Australia. The internet is really something
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Thread Information