Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Chop fatigue warning signs in the General forums; if you sing everything you play, you get the double benefit of hearing what you play but you also get ...
    Piano User
    if you sing everything you play, you get the double benefit of hearing what you play but you also get plenty of those necessary short rests

Utimate User

The more I read your posts, the more I think you're doing just fine. You're "coming back" from time off, so, cut yourself a little slack, says I. It truly sounds like you're approaching it intelligently and gradually.

Have a great Independence Day, too!

New Friend
    manny i agree with your post i studied with carmine caruso for many years and he always pushed his students but he uunderstood the delicate balance between progress and ruine. anything you push has a breaking point, this having been said every student of the trumpet has diffrent capabilities and finding those limits is part of the challenge. i say student because we all learn every day from our studies of this wonderful and sometimes frustrating instrument. we call the trumpet this is just my take on things but herbert clark said it best where a measure of medicine will cure more than perscribed may be fatal.
    taylor custom brushed gold
    getzen renisance 20s
    getzen 800s cornet LB
    leblanc c trumpet
    yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    monette B2\ c2 mouthpieces

Bristol, Connecticut
    I have worked with several adult "comeback" students over the years. They are often my best students. I have been working with one gentleman for about 2 1/2 years now and he is really starting to take off as a player. As ML stated, cut yourself some slack and be patient. I agree with ML's take that you are doing fine.

You mentioned you did some weight training. I like to try and get some of my developing students into a heavy day/light day routine. Similar to some weight training routines. Most have success with this. Some do not. Obviously it is a very personal thing.

Feel free to contact me should you have specific questions.

Be well.

Kenny Roe

Pianissimo User
    Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario
    To take the weight training parallel further, I think to build endurance, play less strenuous exercises for longer periods of time (lighter weights with more reps) and for strength (e.g., upper register or for loud playing) shorter exercises at greater dynamics (heavier weights, low reps).
    Dave M.
    Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario, CANADA

Kanstul WB1600
    1952 L.A. Olds Recording, 1975 L.A. Benge 3x, Yamaha 631 Flugel, Olds Flugel

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces

Pianissimo User
    Niantic, CT
    Thanks again for the many enlightening replies (and the encouragement) [ever notice that encouragement has courage right in the middle of it?].

I think that the weight training analogies resonate (pun intended!) most strongly with as far as breaking up the work load into light and heavy days and low weight/high reps vs. heavy lifting/shorter duration.

Bigpatg's post addressed the very concern that prompted this thread. I guess that the investigation of my changing limits will be a bigger challenge than I wished it to be .

Muchas gracias,

Conn V1 Rose brass bell
    GR 65M #1bb

Conn V1 Flugel (Satin Silver)
    GR 65FD

Conn 8DRS
    Lawson S670/P10G 705

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    I am uncomfortable with weight training analogies; arguing by analogy is slipperier than arguing by logic. Here's why I don't like it: it implies work and effort whereas it is in fact more akin to yoga in that flexibility and breathing are what gets you to where you want to go, not strength or power. Many people run into problems when they try to power their way to sound instead of relaxing and letting the air move. Only the movement of air will help you make a sound and relaxation and breathing deeply are the only ways to get this done. Plus your lips are not muscles.

My $.02.

Michael McLaughlin

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
    Groucho Marx
    Morelia MM

Bristol, Connecticut
    trpt 2345,

Please do not interpret this as being provacative. I am trying to expand my horizons here.

While I agree my weight training analogy may not be the best way to describe what we need to do, my question is (not having done yoga) does nopt yoga work to improve muscular flexibility? Granted tendons and ligaments come into play but isn't the focus of increasing oxygen flow to the muscles to help them to resond in their natural manner? Please bear with me I am not educated in yoga and am trying to understand.

Also, I will concede that the lips are not technically muscles, but the surrounding (supporting tissue) is that not muscular? Additionally, isn't it muscles that help us to move the air in an efficient manner?

Please do not think this confrontational, I am curious as to the yoga approach. I studied Alexander Technique and am very curious about yoga.

Thanks for your time.
    Kenny Roe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information