Trumpet Discussion Discuss Chop saver in the General forums; To help our sponsors, I bought a tube of Chop Saver. I tried it out when I got home and ...
    Pianissimo User
    Winnipeg Canada

Question Chop saver

To help our sponsors, I bought a tube of Chop Saver. I tried it out when I got home and found that I couldn't get my lips to vibrate like before.
    I realize that I am only now BEGINNING to get my chops back so I ask the question,
    When should this product be used? Just before a performance or practice or only after a work session?

Medina, NY

Re: Chop saver

I just use chapstick, and I find that when I put it on before, I can't play as well. I just need a better seal on the mouthpiece, and chapstick is not conducive to a good seal.
    I'd say after you practice, and just whenever you'd use normal chapstick.
    I use minty chapstick, and it feels good after I play.
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

Mezzo Forte User

After, and not ritually, only when needed. You probably won't need it much in the Summer.

It is one with oils you need, they penetrate. The waxy types won't help at all but will protect from sun and wind.

Health food stores have one with hemp oil in it which works well, too.

Mezzo Forte User

I use Chopsaver too and it also makes my chops feel weird if I try to play with it on, so I only use it after playing or when I don't have to play for awhile. The best thing about it for me, is using it before I go to bed to keep my lips from chapping during the night. It's by far the best thing I've found for that.

Bucharest , Romania

I've bought 2 tubes of ChopSaver . I tried to use it before I play , and I realized that it doesn't help me... that waxy film is not a great feeling in the mouthpiece, so I use it after playing , and when I go outside . I also have one tube of a minty chapstick La Tromba Lip Tonic, and I can tell you this is better for the lips muscles. I use it mostly over the night, it is a great feeling after aplying it, and I can feel my lips stronger and relaxed the next day. I recommand it special for beginers , cause we are hardly push the lips in the mouthpiece , and this La Tromba is a real remmedy for tired lips.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

I don't think that chopsaver was made to play with. His main purpose is to help recovery. So I guess that the advice "after, when needed" is the most suitable. I use it after a hard gig or long practice sessions.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Vancouver, Canada

I tend to use it at night after playing. (as someone has mentioned)

After a hard gig a bit of chopsaver on the lips before you go to bed and a glass of water should rehydrate and repair some of the damage you may have done.

If you use during playing (not recommended) but the chopsaver gold is a little thinner than the regular and applies a bit more like a traditional lip blam than the original.

I use this one if I intend to be out in the sun as it keeps the lips moist and has the built in SPF protection.

Piano User

I, as others have stated, use it after playing, at night, and before going outside. It is the only lip product that I use.

Roy Griffin

Thread Information