Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Chops in the General forums; Originally Posted by kingtrumpet . Chuck Mangione, Phil Driscoll (although after an hour or so phil would sing) -- these ...
    Bloomfield Township, Mich

Re: Chops

Quote Originally Posted by kingtrumpet View Post
    . Chuck Mangione, Phil Driscoll (although after an hour or so phil would sing) -- these guys were incredible--- and in a 2 hour + show they would take few breaks and none much longer than a couple of minutes, but they would play many songs in the 10-15 minute ranges.
    Perhaps that is an unrealistic assumption on my part that in a comeback at 46 -- I would somehow be able to "increase" stamina -- in my chops in just a year or two.
    I guess I just wonder how these guys play for an hour or so -- with the whole range, dynamics and such --- without taking much of a break.
    Again -- with trickg and others -- realistically I understand there are usually song breaks in most gigs.
    Face time on a 15 minute tune is not that much. Trumpet players don't usually solo for an extended period. If they do they don't do it on the next tune. Unless they are playing in a 1 horn salsa band (not recommended)
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think that the most important thing is to just listen to what your chops are telling you. I think that some people take the whole, "no pain, no gain" thing a little too seriously and they do wind up over-practicing. That's just not a great thing to do, but so many people do it.
    The more I am in medicine the more I have come to realize that pain is our friend. This is so true Patrick. Great Post!
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Rochester, NY

I practice for 1/2 hour, take a 10 minute break, then rinse and repeat several times...But once a week, when I'm not at a band practice two or three days in the week, I do like to slam my chops with 1 hour, 15 minute break, 1 hour, 15 minute break, then 1/2 hour all on Lead chops high-note stuff, or until I start to give out- I call it my power-lifting practice.

Its weird, these days- as I begin to really get better than I was when I stopped really playing years ago-I warm-up, do etudes, then do the symphonic book for my one band, then do Jazz excercises and patterns, then the jazz charts from the other band I play in, then range stuff, and its like 2-3 hours just flew bye! I need more time!!!!!!!

BTW: taking a day off today, though
    Last edited by Dave Hughes; 07-09-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    Yamaha Xeno
    '54 Conn 28b Connstellation

Warburton 1MD/Austin Custom Brass A1 Backbore
    Bach 1D (custom rim)
    Austin Custom Brass, Custom Lead Mouthpiece (14A-A1)

"There's no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger & unhappiness"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information