Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Chris Botti instrument(s) in the General forums; I've seen him twice and both times he finished with a piece sans mic.....Sound was just as rich and full ...
    Waukesha, Wisconsin

Re: Chris Botti instrument(s)

I've seen him twice and both times he finished with a piece sans mic.....Sound was just as rich and full as with....

Outstanding performer, and a very....very tight group with him.

Pan America Pea Shooter
    Conn Connquest
    47 King Liberty Trumpet
    Bach Stratavarious (everyday horn)

Yamaha TR-639 Rose bell
    37 buescher Aristrocrat "custom built" Cornet
    Olds Studio (nickel plate)
    57 conn 12A Coprion
    Holton Collegiate Cornet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Conn 1914 Perfected wonder (C, B, A flat)
    Conn 1912 perfected wonder (C, B flat)
    Buescher 1903 Epoch Cornet
    57 Olds Special Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet
    1935 Mahillon Flugel
    Reynolds marching F

Piano User

I just saw Chris Botti perform last week, and it was AWESOME. I loved it ... He only played the trumpet, and it was his Martin Committee trumpet. He also comes out and will sign autographs and talk to people after the show, but the line was going out the door and little ones at home so no such luck for me.

In regards to his trumpet playing, he (Chris Botti) in an interview said that he played just one thing Trumpet and kept his focus on that versus any other instruments. Seems to make sense and Chris also highly recommended never going a day without practicing because he hosed a solo once for Sting many years ago where he went a couple of days without practicing.

One thing about Chris Bottis performance that I picked up and you see on his album covers (Like the Live in Boston) is that when he plays he often arches his back and almost leans backwards with the knees slightly bent and wondered if this was a "SHOW" thing so that you could see the profile of him playing or if it was adding any other value to his playing. My assumption is that it is for show.
    Bach Stradivarius 180S37
    Conn Connstellation

Pianissimo User
    West Virginia

You can find a video of him on Youtube where he's being interviewed and he talks about how he is actually a vagabond. He owns his trumpet, some clothes, and thats about it. If he can get that nice dark sound without the fluge, whats the point in hauling it around all the time?

Novato, CA, USA

Seems to me the mic is likely only used to help him sit in the mix with the rest of the amplified band.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

Los Angeles, CA

Chris Botti without mic at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles recorded on an old (2005) Canon powershot digital camera.
    [ame=]YouTube - Chris Botti at the Greek Theatre 2010-07-10[/ame]
    2010 Getzen 3895 Custom Flugelhorn - Silver w/Gold Brass Bell
    2010 Getzen 3850 Custom Cornet
    2009 Bach Stradivarius New York 7
    1956 Olds Recording
    1920 Abbott Mfg Company

Monette B6 S1 / Kanstul G2
    Monette B6-FL - Cornet
    Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    No complaint about the mic - just an observation. Powell Symphony Hall is rather large, so it'd be tough to fill it up with sound .
    I wasn't pointing my comment at you! My old band director told me back when I went to Botti's concert that it wouldn't be worthwhile because he uses "studio magic"...and I've heard it from other people as well. But I think Chris has an amazing sound with or without a mic! Great guy too!

1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

The magic of Vulgano Voodoo is more real than "Studio Magic," because there is no magic in the studio--only technology, and in concert the real "magic" is enhanced by, but not created by technology.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Piano User

trumpetrax wrote:
    I've tried getting my hair like that too, but my hair profession just laughs and says there isn't enough there!

That is cool that you got to sit and hang with Chris for a half hour! That is awesome. What kinda stuff did you talk about?
    We talked about growing up in Italian families for a while. I asked him why he started playing the Martin. His reply had to do with the fact that he realized that he wasn't going to be a lead trumpet player, and using the Martin gave him the sound that he wanted. As I remember, he didn't pay too much for the horn. These prices have gone up considerably since Chris started playing one. You may as well call it the CB model now.He also talked about touring with the Dorsey band when he was young.

My impression of Chris after talking with him was the same before I met him. He's a regular guy, and a good guy. The two things in the music biz at any level that you need to be. Others that I have met that have the same two qualities are Bobby Shew, Marvin Stamm, and Wayne Bergeron. This is good company!

Pete Grimaldi

yer ive never seen Chris playing anything else but a trumpet.

He does play with a mic, but whats wrong with it ? When i heard him at his show, he played one song without a mic and he sounded the same.

In terms of his "leaning back" or "arch pose" if you will, i think thats for show. He does that a lot. It looks good in my opinion. It could also be a habit that he possesed over time...

Chris Botti is a great player, my favourite.

Hillsborough, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Chris Botti without mic at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles recorded on an old (2005) Canon powershot digital camera.
    YouTube - Chris Botti at the Greek Theatre 2010-07-10
    Your horns are rfeally beautiful and I especially like the shot of the 56 Olds Recording. very nice- more importantly I'm sure they sound a good as they look!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information