Trumpet Discussion Discuss Circular Breathing in the General forums; Anyone ever heard of this? I try to do it but when I blow and breathe my buzz stops....

Circular Breathing

Anyone ever heard of this? I try to do it but when I blow and breathe my buzz stops.

Halifax, NS CANADA
    I just did a quick google on it.

All I can say is that I can't do it. Although I CAN do it while blowing bubbles in my milk. (A coffee stir stick has the best resistance for this)
    It's also not overly important. I find it intreging because it's one of the few techniques I have yet to learn.
    Have fun

Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

It took me about 15 minutes to teach myself to circular breathe on my Didgeridoo. Putting the concept to the trumpet too a little bit longer because of the size difference of the mouthpeices, but I now can circular breathe pretty fluidly and rarely have my sound stop.
    While it is a gimmick in most respects, it does come in handy in situations where fermatas are held longer than you prepared for, or when you have to play long slurred phrases that non brass players love to write.

The hardest part of learning it for me was the cheek puffing part, since I was always taught not to puff my cheeks out when I play. After I got used to that, it was just a matter of focussing on making my sound smooth so the breath is unnoticable.
    Tunes like Moto Perpetuo by Paganinni are where it would be used.

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I taught myself how to do it sitting in math class the day after a concert where we had a guest soloist playing a Clarinet Concerto. He was showing off his circular breathing skills and I just caught on.

It's a lot harder to do while actualy playing, but after a few weeks of practice I get it down pretty well.
    -David Jacques

Pianissimo User
    Best way to learn (I found) is using the straw in a glass of water and getting constant bubbles just to learn the concept of circular breathing. After that, you can take it to the horn. The most difficult part is keeping a straight note. It's just a party trick and I'm sure there are much more important things you can practise. If you do want to show it off though, do it on a long trill as this covers up the fact that you can't keep a straight note.

Thread Information