Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Clams for Palm Sunday in the General forums; Originally Posted by edfitzvb Now the good part.... It's my home church and it's all gratis. Same with me. I've ...
    Forte User

Re: Clams for Palm Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by edfitzvb View Post
    Now the good part.... It's my home church and it's all gratis.
    Same with me. I've made an agreement with myself that the needs/requests from my home parish trump the others.

Teaneck, NJ

Let's see. Easter service in the morning with a cracker jack quartet of NY pros- Jami Dauber, Jonathan Greenberg, and I don't know who the fourth person is, but I am fortunate to play with such excellent players, then a Klezmer show in the afternoon for a Passover crowd. Hope I remember which music to play for which gig...
    Yamaha 8310Z
    Dillon Flugelhorn
    Getzen 850 Cornet
    Yamaha Picc
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445
    Bach Corp. 3C, Curry 3F, Curry 3DC. (cornet), Stork 5P

Heart of Dixie

The 1st Horn player laid an egg at the beginning of a featured piece by our church orchestra this morning, but the rest went OK. I'm sure she was embarrassed, since there was a big crowd on hand and it was televised locally...

The orchestra in general was a little off all morning for some reason. It's usually very good. I play my church's stuff for nothing, even when they bring in "hired guns" to fill in some of the parts during various holidays. Sometimes a hired gun is taking my place in church, though, if the quintet I play in has a paying gig somewhere else.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mchs3d View Post
    I once missed a note... ;)
    I wonder that feels like?
    Warm, brown and the consistency of male cow dung................

stuff happens and leaving proud is one of the things that defines a genuine first trumpeter.

If the last chord was in A then you didn't introduce anything atonal and therefore your congregation did not suffer.

VB. Bach, in his Canonische Veränderungen (BWV769) uses the finale theme of that final Christmas Oratorio cantata. It is based on Vom Himmel Hoch, da komm ich her - which is about the announcement that Christ is coming (ich bring' Euch eine neue Mär). The only difference is that as Christmas is not yet there, the final note is an octave lower. If your gig was before the 25th, you have a RIGHT to not play that last note up there!

We just need the valid arguments for what we do! That means research before hand.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

This is one of my favorite quotes:

"Unless you really suck, most people will enjoy listening to you.
    Try to take that into consideration and use all of your energy concentrating
    on what you are playing/how you're sounding, not worrying about what
    someone else might be thinking. The only way you'd know that, anyway,
    is if they told you. Then what?
    Hand them the horn and have them play for you."

If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

Pianissimo User

I used to worry myself about wrong notes and "Clams" Then someone reminded me that for every bad note I had played, I had also played thousands of notes beautifully. That put it in perspective for me.

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: Clams for Palm Sunday

Thanks, laurie, I needed that............Buck
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

I like another version of the practice to not make a mistake idea,

"Good players parctice until they get it right, very very good players practice a bit more, professional's practice until they know how to cover up a mistake"

Sorry pro's but that's from my piano teacher

Pianissimo User
    San Gabriel, CA

Not to hijack the thread, but I know there are some Parishes out there which try to limit the use of musical instruments during Lent. While going totally a cappella might be too jarring for a Congregation, pairing the Orchestra/Praise Band down to a single piano or acoustic guitar could be an appropriate way to show restraint and respect for the Season.

I sing in our small Church Choir and will occasionally double on trumpet for some of the pieces. When one of our Directors asked me about the possibility of using the trumpet for Palm Sunday, I suggested waiting until Easter before breaking out the horn. IMO, the trumpet just wouldn't seem appropriate until Easter itself. Besides, imagine the emotional impact on the Congregation of going 40 days with just minimal musical accompaniment, and then having a full orchestra to celebrate the Easter Mass.

Anyway, just something for Church Musicians to think about.
    "First Trumpets. Don't add notes above what's written!"
    --Former Cal Band Director Bob Briggs, rehearsing the final chord of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Welcome to the world of being human. If Maynard and Dizzy had a nickle for every note they missed when playing a concert, they'd be richer than Donald Trump.
    I've heard Doc totally suck at a show, I've heard Sandoval hit clams the size of my TV, Mendez was once playing The Mexican Hat Dance(which he did in one breath) and clammed out on the last note. I've played enough clams in concert to feed an army.
    You ain't no different. Blow it off, move on and be sure to get back on the church stage asap(preferablly Easter). A performance isn't based on a note. A note isn't music. You are judged on the total performance.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Markie; 03-30-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information