Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Clean your horn! in the General forums; Originally Posted by mike ansberry I've had my Eclipse for about 10 months and decided to put it in the ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ansberry
    I've had my Eclipse for about 10 months and decided to put it in the exo-clean chemical bath. I have run literally hundreds of horns through this vat with no problems. I put my Eclipse in and the gold finish came out badly stained. I freaked. I tried washing it off with soap and water. I tried silver polish. Then I talked to John Lynch. He does a lot of gold and silver plating. He said try Tarnex. I used it and the stains came right off. I was relieved.
    Mike, I'm glad something worked for you; it really would "be of vacuumous characteristic" to have that pretty gold all stained.

I just wash/rinse mine off with dish detergent and that seems to work fine. Generally I'll "give 'er" a bath about every 3 months or so and that seems to be OK. I AM kind of surprised because I have been known to park a beer beside the stand when I'm practicing! For some strange reason the can is generally empty about the time I run out of desire to practice!

My own shameful confession.

In 1986 I was playing my first engagement in a West end show - the first London production of High Society where I was third trumpet in the on stage 'pit orchestra'. i also had the honour of playing the Louis Armstrong part in the number Now You Has Jazz which entailed walking on into a scene with 5 other musicians to play a part in an jam session in a diner which turned into that great number.

About six months into the run I started feeling like I was having dificulty in making the horn ring true -I figured it was just a chops problem which would sort itself out if I did some chop maintainance work and tried to back off a little but after a couple of weeks things seemed to be getting worse. I was working much harder and getting less and less sound. I was actually getting quite depressed about it and at a loss how to rectify the situation. One night between numbers I had flipped the horn around and was gazing forlornly into the bell when I noticed something shiny catching the light! There was something metalic stuck way down in the bell somewhere near the back bow. In the interval I took the horn - a 1956 Burbank Benge ML fwiw - to the dressing room, bent a wire coat hanger into a hook and went fishing. What I managed to pull out was an aluminium pencil sharpener AND behind that was a mouthpiece brush!!!

I hadn't seen either of these two items, which had both been loose in my gig bag, for over three weeks. No wonder the horn had been feeling a little stuffy. In retrospect its amazing that I managed to work like this for so long without other people realising something was amiss.

Needless to say, the second half of that show my sound was HUGE!

Also, I am pretty careful about keeping things neat in my cases these days.

All the best. Noel.

Rochester, MN
    Corrosive chemicals work because they are CORROSIVE!

Think steam, my friends!

Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information