Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cleaning/shining brass in the General forums; My bugler student's mom wants to make the old bugle look nice. I've only ever maintained a finish, not had ...
    Pianissimo User

Cleaning/shining brass

My bugler student's mom wants to make the old bugle look nice. I've only ever maintained a finish, not had to fix anything. (As in, I wipe my instrument with a cloth and that's it.) What can I advise her to do that would be safe? She does not want to pay for professional cleaning/polishing.
    Christine *The mom* to 7 kids

Pianissimo User

Re: Cleaning/shining brass

On raw brass, Wright's brass polish and a soft cotton cloth work wonders for me. It's quick and easy.

1946 F. E. Olds Super Recording Trumpet
    1947 F. E. Olds Super Trumpet
    1970 King 1055T Silver Flair
    1971 Getzen Severinsen Model
    2010 Yamaha Xeno

And a few others

Mothers (brand name) Mag and Aluminum Polish from the auto parts store is the best stuff I have ever used on raw brass. Just use and old T shirt and polish away until it starts to shine and then use a second clean shirt to buff the remainder off.

After that you can wipe it down with some pledge to keep it from tarnishing so fast.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Yes, Wright's markets a specific polish for brass separate from their silver polish. Boy Scout amd U.S. Regulation M1892 bugles were originally raw brass. In addition to cloths I use an old soft toothbrush to get in the tubing crevices. With due diligence the owner could do as well as most professional services. Too, I'd definitely and highly recommend a long soaking bath in Dawn dish detergent and a half cup of white vinegar as to follow with the acquisition of a trumpet cleaning snake and its usage. I'm still concerned about the tuning slide as pulls toward the mouthpiece. If it is stuck do not force it, as such is a task is best left to a professional tech who has the proper tooling and experience to get it loosened safely. I should believe the cost would be minimal.

My wife bought some citric acid for cleaning her brass candle holders - 1 minute and they were spotless. I diluted that stuff 50% and put horn parts in for a minute or two - spotless. I rinsed very thoroughly to prevent it eating through. Awesome stuff and biologically safe!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information