Trumpet Discussion Discuss Clueless, Need advice ! in the General forums; Hello, I just registered with this wonderful site ! But now I need some help getting up to speed. I ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Clueless, Need advice !

Hello, I just registered with this wonderful site ! But now I need some help getting up to speed. I need advice in many areas. I am
    essentially a sax player who sometimes dabbles in the trumpet.
    I have a basic understanding of the mechanics of the trumpet, but
    I do not understand more specific details such as how a lead pipe
    affects sound, and how to match mpc sizes to different bores ...

If I were to guess, a lead pipe for a trumpet affects sound much like a sax neck does. But typically , a sax neck will be standard in size
    for that particular horn. And if I understand it correctly, a trumpet lead pipe can differ in length ?

I guess what I am looking for is basic information of what goes into
    making sound . I know that is a loaded question, with I'm sure many
    variables to compound the issue. Can anyone direct me to a source to help me better grasp the issues ?

All advice is appreciated , and thanks for having me here !

Mezzo Forte User
    Dubai, UAE

Re: Clueless, Need advice !

If you really want to know the nitty,gritty have a look at Richard Smith's technical papers here:

Smith Watkins

TM member Derek Rabean has also got lots of topics on 'Resonant Sound'. Do a search for his excellent posts and absorb.

A laymans thumbnail explanation is that sound in a trumpet is created by the transmission of a standing wave created along its length by the vibration set up in the mouthpiece. The efficiency of that wave will be determined largely by the design of the lead pipe and bell. The character of the resulting sound will of course be shaped by the physical characteristics (metal thickness, material etc) of the instrument's construction.

Resultant fundamental pitch is a function of the entire length of the instrument, not of the lead pipe. Cornets, for instance, have the same pitch as trumpets (being the same physical length) but generally much longer lead pipes. The standing wave interacts differently with the instrument in that case but the resultant fundamental is the same.

I'm no phycisist though and hopefully some of my more learned colleagues can correct and build on my effort.

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Clueless, Need advice !

GREAT STUFF ! I read a couple of the papers. It is essentially the same for Saxes as well. Thanks for the direction ! I have a
    good grasp of what goes into the process now. I bookmarked this site and will visit it again ! I'll definitely follow your advice and will read the posts of Derek Rabean as well.

Thread Information