Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cold Sores in the General forums; Okay, this topic is a tad unglamourous, but it's something I'm looking for feedback on. I just got a bugger ...
    Pianissimo User

Cold Sores

Okay, this topic is a tad unglamourous, but it's something I'm looking for feedback on. I just got a bugger of one on my lip, and then made sure to disinfect my mouthpiece, change toothbrushes, etc. to try to nip it in the bud, but there it goes, a knot on one side of my lip. In a perfect universe, I'd just take a couple of days off--but there are gigs to play, and rehearsals, and besides--why take a day off of playing the trumpet?

I'm wondering if anyone else faces this problem. I've been playing a more demanding load than I'm accustomed to, so perhaps that contributes to the problem with it not getting time to heal. The difficulty is that as it gets worse, one side of my lip juts out, so I'm kind on assymetrical lips. The silver lining in it all is that I really have to be accountable for an efficient embrouchure set-up when my lip has puffed out on one side, and I'm very aware of (and wary of) arm-induced pressure. I can still play typically as well or as long as I could before--it's just uncomfortable in that one spot, just like it would be if I walked around drinking something acidic like orange juice or lemonade all day.

Does anyone else run into this as a problem?
    Last edited by ilikethetrumpet; 01-26-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Re: Cold Sores

I had problems with sores until I switched to gold plated mouthpieces. I do not know if silver oxide, the "smoothness" of the gold, growing out of it (I was 28 when I switched) or whatever caused this - it just worked for me.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

there is a little machine which is sold in chemists in germany and it is called herpifix. A bit like zovirax, you have to use it before it is full blown but for someone who gets them alot because of stress it is a great tool. Maybe google it and see if you can buy it online

bas

Peter,
    I have dealt with cold sores for years and consider myself the resident authority on this nasty affliction. Let's talk...

Brent

Thread Information