Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss cold tuning in the General forums; The speed of sound varies with air density. Air density varies with temperature. Because sound is a result of vibrating ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: cold tuning

The speed of sound varies with air density. Air density varies with temperature. Because sound is a result of vibrating air particles, then denser air will have more particles to vibrate and so sound will travel faster than in less dense air - this will vary tuning - so tuning varies with temperature.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by lovevixen555 View Post
    In addition to all of the above responces I would ask you if you have ever tried to write your name while freezeing cold? I would guess that you hand writeing skills went south! Same thing goes for your lips and playing hand. They do not like being cold anymore then the rest of you. Your posture and embochure all change with your mood and tempature as well. I was amazed at how well those musicians played outside the Capital for the inaguration. The woman playing the piano had on what I used to call wino gloves ie gloves with fingers cut off. To play so good in such weather was amazeing. This is why we always try to warm our instrument s before a show and at the very least sometimes stick your mouthpiece under your arm to keep it warm waiting to go on. This is why Ivory,Glass and later plastics have been used by those that play outside like marching band people in cold climates.

ANother good example of how the body does not like cold. Sit on a cold bleacher watching a game. Then when it is time to get more drinks jump upand jump down to the ground instead of takeing all the steeps. Chances are good that you got all kinds of tingling not so good feelings running up your leg from something that when warm you wouldnot even think twice about doing. All of your connective tissue though is now cold. So everything just about in nature no matter if made by nature or made by man contracts in the cold and behaves differently!
    i have to say tht during the late football games and marching competitions, i loved playing my trumpet while it was practically frozen. We switch from TOB and MAC competitions and the MAC competitions up in connecticut in late october while it was snowing were freezing. It took us a long time to warm up our instruments, and i stopped running warm air through them for fifteen minutes and the valve oil actually froze my valves...
    but i like the tone my trumpet gives off when it is frozen, plus i find it easier to play with a cold mouthpiece then a warm, nd tuning is very easy you just push all the way in nd when using third valve slide you only have to throw out a tiny bit

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by miketheswine View Post
    why does a trumpet go flat when cold?

To annoy us........
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

New Friend
    scarborough. uk

thank you all for your replies. especially mister lovevixen555, although being british, didn't quite get the last paragraph of your post.

i like the idea of sound waves being affected by the cold rather than the cold causing my instrument to shrink (there is a joke in there somewhere).

i just tried blowing a few notes into my fridge. the acoustics are terrible. definitely flat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information