Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cold Weather... in the General forums; Alright, I'm in the marching band at my school It's been getting colder outside. We just recently went championships (2nd ...
    New Friend

Cold Weather...

Alright, I'm in the marching band at my school It's been getting colder outside. We just recently went championships (2nd place btw). We had to go on at around 10:45 pm and it was very cold. During the show though, I found it very hard to play at some points, as if I were playing for eight hours straight. In my 4 1/2 years of trumpeting, this happened to me very few times.
    Notes: I do not use excessive pressure.
    We warmed up properly (breathing, then buzzing, then playing)
    It wasn't from overblowing or playing for a very long time.
    Does anybody know of some sort of solution that can help me avoid this problem? It would be very much appreciated!

PS: I asked my private teacher about it and he's really old and I don't think he understood what I meant.

Re: Cold Weather...

Well, the weather...
    Muscles are muscles and respond diferently when they are cold.
    Try to use any type of hands cream/milk to cover your face/lips.
    Keeping your mouthpiece in your pocket when not playing could help, as well as blowing it for a while before playing to keep the brass warm. Try to cover you mouth with your hand... well, you know. The weather...
    Best wishes
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets

Forte User

A fat cream in your face and maybe a plastic mouthpiece from Kelly?

Central Jersey

the biggest problem here is the muscles in your lips are being drained of blood. as the body is exposed to lower temperatures it starts drawing in blood from the extremeties to keep the core temperature at a norm. the only solution for this is to keep the body moving. you don't have to swing your arms or anything, but flex all of your muscles (hopefully you wear a traditional uniform and the flexing won't be noticed). doing this forces blood back into you're muscles so they can activate. the same goes for your lips, slightly purse your lips (only so much that the moist part of the lip is now turned inside your mouth- this will also help prevent chapping) and keep flexing them. this will keep your embouchre warmed up and ready to play.

to assist with the cold mouthpiece there are two solutions here. 1. keep the mouthpiece in your free hand while marching 2. pick up a kelly lexan mouthpiece. these will not get nearly as cold and they are much easier on your lips when compared to an ice cold mpc. they have all the popular mpc shapes, some pretty neat colors, and are only about 30 bucks. i have one for my drum and bugle corps and love it in extreme temperatures. while not ideal for everyday use, it's perfect for those nights when you're out on the field in 30 degree weather. Kelly(TM) Mouthpieces - Bringing Color to Music!®

good luck!!

ps- is says you're located in pa, where? i hail from south philly.
    Ed Con...

1890's (est) LeFever "691" Cornet
    1910 Grand Rapids Inst. Co. "USA Line" Baritone
    1920's (est) Harwood "Artist Solo Model" Cornet
    1954 Olds (LA) "Ambassador" Cornet
    1956 Olds (EF) "Ambassador" Trumpet
    1989 Selmer "Bundy" Trumpet
    2007 Kanstul "KSB100" 3-Valve Bugle

"Villains always have antidotes... they're funny that way. "

New Friend

Thanks everybody, there were a few good tips in your replies that I will put to use! I knew a little about the blood not getting to your lips but the only way I knew to help that is by rubbing the cheeks and area around it, and it did help a little.

ps: I am from the Wilkes-Barre area, Lehman to be exact.

Thread Information