Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss College... in the General forums; You should reread the post. Did you do it? OK, read it again. So let's try this again. If you ...
    Randolph, New Jersey

Re: College...

You should reread the post.

Did you do it?

OK, read it again.

So let's try this again. If you become and English Major first, chances are you won't be playing everyday and your skills will deteriorate. The courses that you take will be outside of music's content area, and you may very well be eclipsed from university ensembles. You may not practice daily as there is no one holding you/your performance to that higher standard. It is possible but not usual for non-majors to study privately. All of these facts could make the process of transferring or changing majors at a later time all that much more difficult. Juxtapose that scenario with anyone's experience in their high school music program where they "are played" daily by their director.

Get it?

It is certainly expected that one will improve their skills technically and musically as a college music major (or even as a non-major who plays daily) however, it is very difficult (according to the Bible, impossible) to serve two masters. No one ever said "can't improve" except you; I said difficult to improve without the consistency that your program provides.

No one in their right mind would ever suggest that future music/music ed majors are at the height of their powers as performers or musicians coming directly out of high school. How ridiculous!! However, in light of the argument I've posited, you can see that it is likely that a high school senior could and should play better than a second semester freshman non-music major. Thus, my recommendation that you "do music first": it is easier to transfer "out" to another major than to transfer "in" from another, nonrelated field of study.

It was intuitively obvious what I was attempting to say and I'm sorry you missed it.

PS The word "Can't" is a contraction of the words "can not" and has an apostrophe.
    Last edited by tpsiebs; 09-07-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
    1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

Pianissimo User

I READ what you posted.
    You can calm down now I wasnt trying to attack you.
    If you look at the original post you said you would never be as good as you were in High School.
    You have since with your last post explained better.
    Have a beer and relax I aint gona sweat it and neither should you.

West Texas

I was going to write more about the current state of the job market for English majors when I realized you don't want to be one anyway, so I don't need to work that hard to talk you out of it.

The beauty of college is the opportunity to be exposed to new things, new ideas, and new people. The vast majority of students change their major at some point (heck, I had 5!) during college. You are not signing a contract in blood if you decide while still in high school to major in anything.

Rather than worrying about what major you want, focus on finding the school that has the best "fit" for your personality and general life goals. Go visit, talk to current and former students, and pay attention to how you feel about a place. How compatible a place is on paper isn't nearly as important as how you feel once you're there.

Now, about music ed and teaching in general: There are lots of ways to combine music and a love of teaching.

You can be a band director, a music therapist, a music teacher at an elementary school, a general ed or special ed teacher who teaches lesson on the side, etc. You might be surprised at the number of ways teaching and music can come together for you. Many of my friends in college were music performance or ed majors, and while few of us are currently band directors, most of us are involved somehow in teaching or music.

Talk to people you know and trust about what they see you happy doing, and don't be afraid to go with what YOU are passionate about. No guidance counselor knows you as well as you do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information